Men’s soccer fights its way to a win

The Linfield men’s soccer team increase its win streak to five after defeating Pacific University, 4-2, and George Fox University, 3-1.

With freshman keeper Jorge Rodriguez still out in Linfield’s game against Pacific, their offense came through and got the Wildcats the win.

Men's Soccer 2 jpegJunior keeper Grant Loriaux saved four of Pacific’s six shots on goal and helped his team get downfield quickly with his powerful kicks from the goalie box.

It was freshman Brian Degrandmont who led the Cat’s to victory, scoring two on their goals. One of which came about two minutes into the game, and the other early in the second half, which was ultimately the game-winning score.

Nicholas Autencio also contributed to the win by scoring his fourth goal of the season. This goal came a few minutes after Degrandmont gave Linfield the lead and helped take a little pressure off of its defense and keeper.

Degrandmont was also the star of the game in Linfield defeat over George Fox on Oct. 20. Men's Soccer jpeg 4He contributed another two goals, with another score within the first five minutes and one near the end of the first half.

The freshmen now has eight total goals on the season.

Autencio added another goal to his total as well, placing him second on the team list for goals this season.

The win against George Fox also marked Jorge Rodriguez’s return from the injury list.Men's Soccer jpeg 5

A notable statistic in this game was the extremely high number of fouls called on both teams. Linfield and George Fox combined for 36 fouls during the course of the game, tallying seven a piece in the first half and eleven in the second. There were a few occasions Men's Soccer jpegwhere the referees were forced to step in to stop potential fights, and George Fox was issued a red card early in the second half.

Linfield plays University of Puget Sound at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 at home, followed by a game at 2:30 on Oct. 27 against Pacific Lutheran University, also at home.

Drew Mahrt / Senior sports reporter

Drew Mahrt can be reached at [email protected].

Goalkeeper Jorge Rodriguez (1) saves a goal during the Oct. 20 game against George Fox University. Rodriguez saved three goals and gave up one during this game. Linfield’s next game is on Oct. 26 against the University of Puget Sound in McMinnville.

Helen Lee/Photo editor

Midfielder Brian DeGrandmont (5) attempts to drive the ball up the field against George Fox University midfielder Luke Dickens (7). DeGrandmont scored two goals during the Oct. 20 game. The first was assisted by forward Tyler Repic (10) and the second by midfielder Rhys Lendio (22).

Helen Lee/Photo Editor