Men’s soccer continues cold streak

The Linfield Men’s soccer team’s losing streak has ensued. The team tied on Sept. 28 and lost on Sept. 29.

The Wildcats ran into more tough match-ups and could not pull through. On Sept 28., they tied with Pacific Lutheran University after double overtime with a blanked out score of 0-0.

The two teams combined for 32 shots on goal, but couldn’t find the back of the net in any of them.

Linfield goalkeeper, freshman Jorge Rodriguez, kept Pacific Lutheran University scoreless with six saves in the game, but the Wildcats offense could not prevail.

Rodriguez commented about what goes through his mind as a shot is coming at him.

“The very first thing I ask myself is, ‘how much time do I have to make the save?’” Rodriguez said in an email. “Goalies make their decision to step right or left and dive high or low in a split second.”

“In a 1-v-1 between the forward and the keeper, it’s all about timing,” Rodriguez said in an email. “As soon as the forward takes his touch, I will come out with everything I got, making myself as big as possible to cover the most amount of space, and finally take the hit to the ball and through the player.”

Linfield’s defense did not continue into the game on Sept. 29. They allowed three goals in their 3-1 loss against Puget Sound University.

Surprisingly, less shots on goal were taken in this game than the previous one with only 26 total. Four total goals were sold.

Rodriguez, who split time in front of the goal in this game with junior Grant Loriaux, accounted for two saves but allowed three goals.

“I feel like I played poorly, but not because I missed easy stops,” Loriaux said in an email. “I didn’t do my normal work before the ball was crossed. I should have checked the back posts to make sure everyone was marked, then followed their runners to the near posts. Thats how they scored their goals.”

Linfield managed to score a goal, but couldn’t get any other offense going. Freshman Rhys Lendio was the man responsible for Linfield’s one and only goal, coming off of an assist by senior Jake Baker. That was his first goal of the year.

Linfield will hope to break their cold streak and bring home a win at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 5 against George Fox University in Newberg, Ore.

That game will be followed by a game at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 6 in Forest Grove, Ore. against Pacific University.

By Drew Mahrt/ Senior sports reporter