Wildcats hit the net, add two more losses

The Linfield volleyball team comes up short in weekend matches, Sept. 27 and 28.

The Wildcats were outlasted by the Lewis & Clark College Pioneers, who won 3-0 on Sept. 28.

While Linfield stole an early lead, the Pioneers were not far behind, and tied it up with a rally at point eight. After earning their ninth point, Lewis & Clark steadily pulled ahead outscoring the Wildcats 25-16 in the first set.

Warmed up and ready, Linfield managed to catch the Pioneers at point eight in the second set, and pulled ahead for what looked like would be a Wildcat win. However, going point-for-point from point 16 on, the Wildcats were just two points behind, earning the Pioneers the second win, 25-23.

Still fired up, the Wildcats clawed their way toward the win, once again going point-for-point till the end. The set was briefly interrupted for five minutes after the fire alarm was pulled. The game resumed shortly after College Public Safety cleared the building.

Linfield closed in on the win, but it was swept out from under their feet, when Lewis & Clark pulled ahead with a final two points, winning, 26-24.

“I think we did well on our defense,” junior Kailana Ritte-Camara said in an email. “We picked up balls, and continued to fight no matter the score. I think I did well on giving what I can through out the game, whether its on defense or offense.”

The Wildcats tapped paws with the Willamette University Bearcats Sept. 27, narrowly losing 3-2.

Linfield earned the first two points of the first set, the first by freshman Suzanne Dahl and a service ace by junior Courtney Wanamaker.

The Wildcats and Bearcats continued to battle it out through the first set, but Willamette could not catch Linfield. The Wildcats won the first set 25-21.

Similar to how the first set had started, the second set started off with a Linfield lead. It wasn’t until point 17 with the two teams tied, that the Bearcats pulled ahead for a last minute win in the second set, 25-23.

Re-energized, Linfield took to the court in the third set, and pounded away at an early lead. Not allowing Willamette a chance to catch them, the Wildcats defeated the Bearcats in the third set, 24-19.

With the same energy the Wildcats previously had, Willamette hit back hard, stealing the lead from the beginning, outscoring Linfield 23-10.

Starting out the final set, Linfield took a three point lead with the first two points earned by freshman Sam Hammons, and an error made by the Bearcats.

The Wildcats struggled to keep their lead and Willamette earned the final win, 15-10.

“After this weekend, we found out how hard we could play, no matter the score,” Ritte-Camara said in an email. “But we could always improve and retain our energy through out the whole game, not just the beginning of the game and toward the ending.”

Despite the close match, the Wildcats and the Bearcats both battled hard. In total, Linfield managed to earn 49 kills. Hammons outscored Ritte-Camara for kills by one, earning 12 kills against Willamette.

“We are going to go back to practice on Monday and continue to work hard,” Ritte-Camara said in an email. “We are going to be working on tough

serves and being aggressive in front.”

The Wildcats will face off with nearby George Fox University at 7 p.m. on Oct. 4 in Newberg, Ore. The following day, Linfield will compete against Pacific University at 7 p.m. at home.

By Kaylyn Peterson/ Managing editor

Outside hitter junior Kailana Ritte-Camara readies a serve to the Willamette Bearcats in the second period. Ritte-Camara led the team in attack percentage at .038 and was one of the top hitters for the team, making 11 kills that match.

Photo by Helen Lee/ Photo editor

Junior Audrey Frazier (10) reaches to set the ball for Suzanna Dahl (14) in the third set of the game against Lewis and Clark College on Sept. 28. Frazier was one of the top setters along with freshman Casie Gaza this match with 12 and 19 sets respectively.

Photo by Helen Lee/ Photo editor