Women’s soccer continues winning streak

PULL1216-2 The Wildcats added three more wins to their perfect record, moving them to a 7-0 record after defeating George Fox University, Puget Sound University and Pacific University.

Linfield started off their week with a 4-2 win over Pacific University. They were led by senior Emily Fellows who put up two goals helping the Wildcats to a victory. Fellows now has a five-game goal streak.

The game started off close in the first half as it was deadlocked in a 1-1 tie, but Linfield came out on top in the second half scoring three goals against Pacific University’s one.

Linfield took a substantially larger amount of shots on goal than Pacific University did, totaling 13, nine of which came in the first half.

The Wildcats played almost perfect offense in the second half missing only one shot and scoring with their other three.

PULL1028-1Their second game of the week was against Puget Sound University. It was a close one, but Linfield managed to pull out another win with the final score being 1-0.

Despite having only taken four shots on goal compared to Puget Sound’s seven, the Wildcats chalked in their sixth win of the year.

Linfield’s only goal of the game came by the leg of Molly McCool in the first half with an unassisted cross goal kick. That gave McCool her third goal of the year.

Excellent defense by the linfield keeper was what kept the Cats afloat. Kallina Haase recorded a perfect three saves on the game.

For Linfield’s 3rd game of the week they took on George Fox. With Emily Fellow not playing, the Wildcats still pulled out an easy win with a score of 5-0.

They spread the ball around nicely as 5 different Wildcats scored during the game. Three of which came in the first half (Ellie Schmidt, Emma Vukic, and Molly McCool) and two in the second (Tegan Grunwald and Sara Miller.)

Gorge Fox only managed to get off a total of 2 shots during the game, neither of which were directed at the goal, giving Linfield keeper Taylor Collinsworth an easy, relaxing game.

This game Continued Linfield’s winning streak and perfect record. They sit at 7-0 going into week 4.

The Linfield Women’s Soccer team plays next at 12:00 on Sept 28th and 29th. Both are away games. They first play Whitworth, then Whitman. They will hope to increase their record to 9-0 after these games.

By Drew Mahrt/ Senior sports reporter

Photo- Tyson Takeuchi/Senior sports photographer

Freshman midfielder Molly McCool looks to pass the ball down field with a University of Puget Sound
opponent on her back. McCool scored her first career goal, which was also the winning goal in a 1-0 win.

Sophomore forward Tegan Grunwald (right) against University of Puget Sound’s Bailey Edwards advances the ball to the goal. Grunwald scored for the team on Sept. 21