Volleyball falls in conference openers

The Wildcats got knocked down at the gate and started their conference ranking at the bottom, with a 0-2 record.

Linfield faced off with Pacific Lutheran University on Sept. 21 in Tacoma, Wash. While the Wildcats took the initial lead for the first two game, the lead slipped from their paws  as Pacific Lutheran took the game 3-0.

Junior Kailana Ritte-Camara scored the first kill of the game, earning the Wildcats their only lead of the set. Pacific Lutheran later took the first set 25-12.

Re-energized. the Wildcats started the next set off with a five-zero lead, but after junior Courtney Wanamaker’s serving error on her fifth serve, the Lutes started a comeback. The set remained close, but ended with another Pacific Lutheran win, 25-19.

The Lutes started the third and final set with the lead. The first point earned by the Wildcats was earned off of a kill by freshman Sam Hammons. Despite Linfield’s effort, the Wildcats could not catch the Lutes, ending the set 24-21.

Ritte-Camara had eight kills, she made the most kills of anyone in the game. Close behind her was junior Victoria Thompson with seven kills. Also, only three Wildcats earned service aces: Wanamaker,  Ritte-Camara and freshman Casie Gaza.

Prior to their game against Pacific Lutheran, the Wildcats played Puget Sound University on Sept. 20.

The Wildcats started the game off with a lead after an attacking error made by the Loggers and a service ace made by sophomore Courtney Uyeda. The teams battled for the lead for nine points, when the Loggers pulled ahead ending the first set 25-14.

During the second set, the Loggers and Wildcats went point-for-point for the first half of the set. However, the battle was short-lived, and Puget Sound pulled ahead after their 10th point. The set ended, 25-15, with a Logger win.

The Wildcats failed to gain the footing they needed to take control of the final set. With the Loggers leading the entire time, the Wildcats lost the set 25-17.

Despite the lose against the Loggers, Linfield earned 31 kills, 14 of which were earned by Ritte-Camara, six by freshman Molly McTaggart, four by Thompson, four by Hammons, two by senior Shayli Coppock and one by freshman Suzanne Dahl.

The Wildcats will play against Willamette University at 7 p.m. on Sept. 27.  at home. Linfield will then host Lewis & Clark University at 7 p.m. on Sept. 28.

By Kaylyn Peterson/Managing editor

Photo- Helen Lee/photo editor

Freshman goalkeeper Jorge Rodriguez defends the Whitworth Pirates’ onslaught. The Wildcats lost two home and one away game weighing in with a 4-3 record.