Wildcats fall short at volleyball match

The Linfield volleyball team fell short in an exhibition match on Sept. 10.

PULL0589-3
Outside hitter senior Shayli Coppock goes for an attack against the two Blue Mountain blockers. Coppock had an attack percentage of
0.333 through the four sets.
Tyson Takeuchi/Senior Sports photographer

The Wildcats started off ahead in the first set after senior Shayli Coppock gained a kill for the first point against Blue Mountain

Community College.

“Blue Mountain CC is undefeated in their division, which told us that they were a competitive team,” junior Kailana Ritte-Camara said

in an email. “We knew that no matter what, we had to be prepared for anything.”

Junior Courtney Wanamaker started off a three point run with a service ace, followed by several attacking errors made by the

Timberwolves.

Linfield’s 4-0 lead was disrupted after an attacking error made by Ritte-Camara, bringing the Timberwolves up one point.

Despite the Wildcats gaining two more points off of one attacking error made by the Timberwolves, and a kill by Ritte-Carama, Blue

Mountain Community College took control of the game.

Gaining the lead after their seventh point, the Timberwolves won the set 25-21, earning them the first win of the game.

Reenergized, the Wildcats came back and held the led for the entire second set, winning 25-17.

With both teams having a win under their belt, the third set went back and forth for the lead, but was ultimately won by the

PULL0645-6Timberwolves. The set ended with a score of 25-23.

The Wildcats and Timberwolves started a fourth set to determine the game. With only one win standing in Blue Mountain Community

College’s way of winning, they took an early lead after scoring two points. Despite efforts to snuff out the Wildcats, Linfield fought back,

going point for point with the Timberwolves until point 18.

The Timberwolves then took the lead and the match, winning 25-19, and won the game, three to one.

Despite the loss, Ritte-Camara and Blue Mountain’s Kendra De Hoog tied for the most kills in the game, with 18 kills. Junior Victoria

Thompson followed closely behind with 12 kills.

“Some of the challenges I think we faced this match were the ability to minimize our unforced errors, and continue to keep the

energy level up through out the match,” Ritte-Camara said in an email.

The Wildcats will travel to play against Puget Sound University on Sept. 20 for their first Northwest Conference game. Linfield will

then play Pacific Lutheran University on Sept. 21. The team will spend both games playing in Tacoma, Wash.

“After playing our first match at home, against a competitive team, we now have a better understanding about which ways we were

great and which ways we could improve,” Ritte-Camara said in an email. “So by working hard in practice, and improving our selves

both physically, but more importantly, mentally, we can then, get better as a team, and be successful at what we want to accomplish.

Especially being successful in these upcoming matches.”

By Kaylyn Peterson/ Managing editor

[email protected]