Students 
receive 
recognition, scholarships

Samantha Sigler

A total of 108 students, two staff members and one organization were recognized at the Annual Recognition Convocation on May 16 at 3 p.m. in Ice auditorium. Junior Max Milander took home the most money of $2,500 in scholarships, and senior Tori Ann Ogawa received the most awards.

Faun Tanenbaum Tiedge, department chair and professor of music, presented three scholarships of $1,000 each. The William J. Burton Sophomore Choir Service Endowed Scholarship was awarded to freshman MacKenzie Linder. The Jon A. Burton Junior Choir Service Endowed Scholarship was awarded to sophomore Christopher Meadows. The Hilja Elizabeth Burton Senior Choir Service Scholarship was awarded to junior Max Milander.

The new members of the International English Honors Society, Sigma Tau Delta, Linfield chapter, Alpha Tau Nu, were announced by the chapter president, junior Austin Shilling.

The new inductees are juniors Kaleigh Ansdell, Mackensie Sempert, Caren Siegel and Summer Yasoni.  Also being inducted were seniors Moniqa Beatty, Kristin Castanera, Hillary Krippaehne, Kyra Rickards, Madelyne Wong, Matthew Broussard, Julia Cooper, Elizabeth Dadoly, Brittani Drost, Kelsey Hatley, Stephanie Longmate, Lori McEwen, Mary McMullan, Katelyn Tamashiro and Elizabeth Turner.

Other awards and honors in order of presentation were:

Brad Thompson, department chair and associate professor of mass communication, presented the Charlotte Filer Linfield Journalism Award to sophomore Carrie Skuzeski along with a $1,000 scholarship.

Professor Thompson also presented the J. Richard & Evelyn Nokes Scholarship to sophomore Samantha Sigler and junior Max Milander.  They received $1,500 each.

Martha Van Cleave, associate dean of faculty for curriculum, assessment and development and professor of mathematics, presented the graduating students of Oregon’s Epsilon Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, a mathematics honor society, with honor chords. To be eligible students must have a minimum of a 3.00 college GPA and 3.3 mathematics GPA. The graduating seniors are Amanda Bowers, Matthew Broussard, Feng Chen, Ellyn Edwards, Joshua Melander, John Portin and Rachelle Ridout.

Christopher Keaveney, professor of Japanese, presented honor chords to seniors receiving the Japanese National Honor Society Certificate of Outstanding Achievement at the Post-Secondary Level of Japanese Language Studies. In order to be eligible a student must be a graduating senior with a 3.5 minimum GPA in Japanese and have taken at least five Japanese classes. The graduating seniors are Brittani Drost, Catherine Nakamura, Gabrielle Nygaard, Katelyn Tamashiro and Elizabeth Turner.

Laura Kenow, athletic training program director, associate professor of health and human performance and certified athletic trainer, presented the Outstanding Athletic Trainer Award to junior Victoria Kraft.

Gary Killgore, Health, Human Performance and Athletics department chair and professor, presented the Vern Marshal Award to juniors Kramer Lindell and Karina Paavola. Lindell was not able to attend the event because he was in Texas with the baseball team.

Killgore also presented Health, Human Performance and Athletics Honors to graduating seniors Nicole Barton, McKaley Brewer, Jason Cheyne, Christian Juanillo, Geoffrey Kunita, Katie Main, Rachel Miles, Elizabeth Murphy, Sara Peterson, Sarah Ritacco and Julia Vaughan.

Ellen Crabtree, interim director of academic advising, presented the Outstanding Colloquium Peer Advisor Award to sisters sophomore Malley Nason and senior Haydn Nason.

Jean Caspers, reference librarian, presented the Jereld R. Nicholson Library Award to seniors Tessa D’Alessandro, Danica Andresen, Julia Cooper, Spencer Garing, Kadin Hashimoto, Kathleen Keith, Kathleen O’Brien, Tori Ann Ogawa, Stephanie Raso, Brogan Pierce and Leah Rensel.

Liz Obert, associate professor and coordinator of electronic arts, presented the Ballenger Scholarship of $1,000 to junior Robin Cone-Murakami. Professor Obert also presented the Helen Blumenstiel Merit Award in Studio Arts, Outstanding Junior, in the amount of $250 to junior Katherine Straube, and the Helen Blumenstiel Endowed Scholarship in the amount of $2,000 to sophomore Taryn Takara.

Nils Lou, professor of ceramics and sculpture, presented the Nancy Stofan Lou Scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to junior Holly Vader.

Brian Winkenweder, associate professor of art history and visual culture, presented the Ballenger Merit Award in Studio Arts, Outstanding Senior, to senior Laura Goodwin.

He also presented the Blackfish Gallery Exhibition award to seniors Lucas Cook and Chloe Raymond.

Winkenweder presented The Do More Than Expected Award to senior Laura Goodwin.

He also presented the Art and Visual Culture Thesis Honors award to seniors Lucas Cook, Laura Goodwin, Chloe Raymond.

Kristi Mackay, assistant director of career development, presented the Service, Patriotism, Understanding, Responsibility, Sacrifice to seniors Maya Chong, Reilly Everaert, Stephanie Longmate, Lori McEwen, Tori Ann Ogawa and Sara Peterson

Tyler Laird-Magee, assistant professor of business, presented the Oregon Society of CPA’s Foundation Scholarship in the amount of $2,000 to senior Tylor Edison.

She also announced the new members of the Delta Mu Delta, National Business Honorary. To be eligible for Delta Mu Delta, students must be business majors in the top 20 percent based on GPA and be of junior or senior standing. The students were juniors Jessica Calderon-Duyck, Katrina Chinn, Claire Hann, Erin Harris, Taylor Klopp, Jessica McGraw, Lindsay Sterkson, Shelby Vandebergh, Andrew Villeneuve and seniors Sujan Dhoju, Ellyn Edwards and Samantha Javier.

Shaik Ismail, director of international programs, presented the Linfield International Ambassador Award in three categories of international student, domestic student, and faculty or staff. He presented the awards in the international category to seniors Sujan Dhoju and Maylyn Foo. The award in the domestic category went to senior Stephanie Raso.  The award in the faculty or staff went to Floyd Schrock, assistant director for international admission.

Freshman Nicholas Konen presented this year’s Dave Hansen Senate Outstanding Service Award to Sarah Burkhardt-Beckley, area director for training and assessment.

Alexis Powell, program coordinator for community engagement and service, presented the Student Group Outstanding Service Award to the fraternity Kappa Sigma.

Jason Rodriquez, director of multicultural programs, presented the Rising Star Award to nine first year students. The recipients were freshmen Stephanie Arciga Najar, Eli Biondine, Janae Brown, Ruta Gebremariam, Hannah Hall-Dolezal, Shawna Jacobson-Sims, Piikea Kailio, Monica Molina and Shane Whitson.

He also presented the Multicultural Excellence Award to 40 students.

The recipients were sophomores BrieA’nna Battle, Christopher Clavel, Tanika Finch, Jonah Flores, Christyn Kamaka, Olivia Marek, Robyn Maxwell, McKenzie Olson, Cirrena Troutt, Alan Venegas, Sofia Webster, and  Aidan Willers.  Also receiving this award were juniors Monterill Anderson, Ashlee Carlson, Dillon Casados, Andrew Gladhill Elizabeth Guzman Arroyo, Shelby Hollenbeck, Ashley Kimi, Ariana Lipkind, Timothy Marl, Miriam Morales-Ayala, Vesta Namiranian, Breanna Ribeiro, Morgan Seymour, Tyson Takeuchi, Kristen Ursino and Madelyne Wong.

Also, seniors Amy Bumatai, Maya Chong, Miriam Corona, Sujan Dhoju, Susana Fajardo, Aaron Hire, Christian Juanillo, Tyler Kimmett, Clara Martinez, Lori McEwen, Nicholaus Miles and Tori Ann Ogawa.

Jackson Miller, associate professor of communication arts and director of forensics, presented the Roy “Hap” Mahaffey Memorial Merit Scholarship in Forensics to junior Megan Schwab.

He also presented the Singletary communication Arts Scholarship to senior Clara Martinez

Janet Gupton, associate professor of theatre arts and resident director, and Ty Marshall, professor of theatre arts, director of theatre and resident designer, presented the Donald and Nelda Balch Endowed Scholarship to juniors Jennifer Layton and Gabrielle Leif.

They also presented the Roy “Hap” Mahaffey Memorial Merit Scholarship in Theatre to sophomore Nicholas Granato.

Nancy Drickey, associate dean of faculty for planning and budget and associate professor of education, announced the James B. Conaway Nominated Students. They are seniors Hanna DeLuca for elementary education, Tori Ann Ogawa for early childhood education, Rachelle Ridout for high school education, Sara Ritacco for high school education, and December 2012 graduate Nolan Taylor for elementary education.

Drickey also presented the James B. Conaway Award for Student Teaching to seniors Maylyn Foo for middle school education, Kelly Gess for elementary school education, Emily Jenkins and Lori McEwen for high school education.

Kiera Downs/Copy Editor

Kiera Downs can be reached at
[email protected].