Lacrosse loses final season game against Pacific Boxers

In the final game of the season, the lacrosse team lost to Pacific University 19-3 April 12, finishing a 9-0 season for the Wildcats.

All four shots made by the Wildcats were made in the second half, with seven saves throughout the game.

The away game in Forest Grove, Ore., ended a slow season for the ‘Cats, but members are happy with their overall play.

“The thing our team does best is building off of previous games and practices,” senior Lynette Cole said. “Every match we saw improvement all around the field. Even if the scoreboard didn’t reflect it, our team improved immensely since the beginning of the season.”

Due to injuries, the Wildcats only had 13 players, one more than the requirement for play.

“Pacific had around eight or nine substitutes so if someone needed a break, especially in the midfield, they can catch their breath, observe the match and chat with the coach about tips for improvement, Cole said.

“It absolutely affected the game’s outcome because they all had this opportunity.”

Low numbers were nothing new for the team, which dealt with many injured players unable to participate during the season.

“It was really frustrating,” freshman and regular goalie Erika Phillipo said. Phillipo was out for most of the season due to injury.

“I love the sport so it was really hard watching from the sidelines,” Phillipo said.

Sophomore Shelby Duarte scored the three Linfield goals for the relatively young team.

“We had a couple of members who had never even touched a stick before this season, Phillipo said.

“I think we will see a lot of returners next year, which will greatly help the next season picking up where we left off this past season.”

The lacrosse players overcame their challenges in order to achieve the goals they set for themselves.

“Our goals for the season were to lay down the framework for a strong team in the years to come,” Cole said. “We absolutely achieved this.”

Olivia Marovich/Staff writer

Olivia Marovich can be reached at [email protected].