EDITORIAL:Voting important at all levels

Jillian Beaudry

Stacey Barchenger

We are excited.

You should be, too.

As voting-age college students, we are living in a time that is a big deal both nationally and locally.

If you haven’

t noticed, two of the most likely Democratic candidates are first-timers. Not only first-time presidential candidates but each individual, if elected, would be a first-timer in the White House because of a physical characteristic. One is a black man; one is a woman.

In the past, the national race has seen similar candidates such as the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who campaigned as a Democratic contender in 1984. But never has a black candidate nor a woman candidate held such promise at earning the presidential nomination.

Only 64 percent of eligible adults turned out to vote in the 2004 presidential election, according to www.census.gov. It doesn’

t seem so bad, but in close primary elections, like we are having this year, every vote does count.

Scaling back a bit, let’

s think about your vote locally.

In March, the Linfield student body will choose the ASLC president and vice president for next year.

Although we are not seeing possible changes and innovations as great as could happen in the race in the national government, our student government affects our daily lives as students at Linfield.

Although our small Linfield election will undoubtedly be less controversial than the national one, the important thing to remember is just how important each election is.

No one on the Review staff is going to bust out a “Vote or Die” T-shirt. We are not P. Diddy’

s protégés.

However, we do support voting, in a non-violent manner.

It is a tired subject, granted. Groups across campus and the nation are constantly persuading people to register.

These efforts are obviously not enough.

At Linfield, you can go to the ASLC presidential debates, read letters from the candidates and read election coverage in the Review. You have the tools to make an informed choice when you vote. There are three candidates for the top job, and two students running for vice president. Each has unique beliefs and ideals for their desired position.

Within this week’s pages of the Review, you can get information on the ASLC government contenders. For the November election of commander in chief, check out CNN.com or another news Web site. MTV.com or E! Online probably won’

t cut it on this one.