Team breaks six-game losing streak

Jordan Jacobo

Review staff writer

With 40 seconds left in the women’s basketball game last Friday, Pacific University guard Kalei Frank stood at the free throw line in the anxious silence of Ted Wilson Gymnasium.

Sinking both shots comfortably, Frank left the Wildcats just six points ahead, 61-55. With full-court pressure requiring precision from Linfield, the ’Cats quickly inbounded to senior point guard Brihtani Lassiter as she sliced through the defense. Lassiter was fouled and forced to shoot two free throws.

Poised, Lassiter knocked down both shots to hold on to the lead and curtail any Pacific momentum.

In the manic 30 seconds that ensued, the Boxers continued to try to force mistakes by fouling, and Lassiter delivered on four more free throws.

Her performance in the heat of the adrenaline-packed ending sealed the win for the ’Cats, who cherished their second win in a row, beating the Boxers, 67-57.

Now enjoying a two-game winning streak, Linfield travels to Tacoma, Wash., Feb. 22 to play Pacific Lutheran University at 6 p.m.

The win against Pacific underscored the positive attitude of head coach Robyn Stewart. She said she was happy with the resilience of her team despite its 4-10 record in Northwest Conference play. Linfield is in seventh place in the 10-team NWC.

“It’s been a tough year in terms of what we expect in wins and losses,” Stewart said. “But they have continued to work hard and be coachable.”

Linfield’s success sputtered on the court in late January and early February, during which the team lost six straight contests.

Stewart attributed the losses to the intense level of competition prevalent among NWC opponents this season.

George Fox University is ranked No. 12 and the University of Puget Sound is ranked No. 16 in the nation, according to www.d3hoops.com.

“Our conference is extremely competitive and the teams we play night in and night out are very strong,” Stewart said. “Everyone is playing for those top three (playoff) spots.”

Lassiter and senior guard Casey Stepan have helped spark this recent surge of energy for the ’Cats. Stepan scored 24 points against Willamette University Feb. 12. Lassiter complemented that performance against Pacific Feb. 15 with 24 points of her own.

Stepan said Linfield’s current standing has been hard to swallow at times, but was optimistic nonetheless.

“It’s no fun to lose, but I’d say we have the opportunity to win out and finish positively,” she said.

Junior forward Courtney McFadden said she is looking forward to next year and is ready to take on more leadership responsibilities.

“Our goal is to finish strong,” Stewart said. “When we lost to them at home, we gave up too many 3-pointers. Our defensive effort needs to be at a more intense level.”

In addition to Stepan and Lassiter, senior guards Susan O’Meara and Monica Chock are set to suit up for the last basketball game of their Linfield careers. The ’Cats host Lewis & Clark College Feb. 23 to close out the year. Tipoff is at 6 p.m.

“We definitely want to recognize our seniors,” Stewart said. “Everybody knows it’s their last game and wants to send them off on a positive note.”

Stepan said she feels winning the next two games will clear any blemishes left by their struggles this season.

“No one ever remembers how you start,” she said. “It’s how you finish that counts.”