Pot policy: Marijuana and Measure 74

The 2010 Oregon Voter’s Pamphlet features a measure centered on medical marijuana. Surprisingly, the majority of the debate included in the pamphlet supports the issue.
The Oregon Regulated Medical Marijuana Supply System Act, Measure 74, also referred to as Initiative 28, proposes licensing guidelines that would extend to dispensaries and producers to be included in a regulated supply system of medical marijuana.
The measure aims to create nonprofit clinics for patients with doctor prescriptions, so they can have access to medical marijuana in a pharmacy-style setting.
Under the measure, licensed at-home growth would be allowed and privately owned, nonprofit dispensaries and producers could possess 24 plants and 96 ounces of marijuana and would not be subject to most marijuana criminal statutes.
Measure 74 also suggests an assistance program for cardholders with lower income among other provisions, such as state-funded marijuana safety research.
The medical community is becoming the dominant segment of supporters. The voter’s pamphlet includes 11 favorable arguments, to which 10 doctors, three nurses and one physician contributed, and two unfavorable arguments.
Twelve years ago, Oregon voters approved Measure 67, a medical marijuana law that permitted medical marijuana cardholders to grow and possess medical marijuana with a doctor’s prescription and registration from the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program, OMMP.
Current law allows an individual to fulfill specific criteria and become a registered medical marijuana grower. It also places restrictions on them. A grower may not be in possession of more than six marijuana plants and of 24 ounces of marijuana to distribute to cardholding clients. A grower’s clientele is not to exceed four cardholders.
The current law doesn’t allow for a distribution system, but Measure 74 does.
As it stands, criminal charges are being brought against ailing people who require medical marijuana, since they are forced to grow it or support the black market because there isn’t a functional and responsible method of medical marijuana distribution in place.
Even defense lawyers support the measure. On Oct. 4, The Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association endorsed the measure. The group said it recognizes a pressing need to codify medical marijuana laws and provide specifics.
Measure 74 is paramount to reducing ambiguities and making medical marijuana more accessible.
The OCDLA isn’t the only group that lends its support for Measure 74. The Democratic Party of Oregon is on board, too. The Citizens Initiative Review Panel, an independent group of randomly chosen Oregon voters, endorsed the measure in September.
Despite the number of groups backing the measure, there are opposing opinions. The problem lies with the recreational drug’s illegality for some people, and free availability for others. Also, the measure could potentially undermine drug law enforcement for noncardholders.
How does the measure stack up in the public arena?\Assistant professor of philosophy Kaarina Beam said that although she isn’t familiar with every detail of the measure, it could be a part of a broader conversation about drugs.
“I also think we should be open to discussing what the research tells us about what marijuana does and does not do for and to people,” she said. “And until we have those serious conversations, I don’t think this should be a forgone conclusion either way.
Marijuana was outlawed in the ’30s, junior William Bailey said. Since then, society has ignored its medical and economic benefits.
“I think it should be legalized because any one of its uses would be enough of an asset to justify its role in America,” he said. “It’s taxable and can be used as paper, medicine and fabric. All the people who don’t want it legalized can still choose not to take part in it.”
The success or failure of Measure 74 will be determined by Oregon voters in November.

by Septembre Russell/Copy chief
Septembre Russell can be reached at [email protected]