D&D: out of the basement and onto campus

There are many different characters to choose from when playing Dungeons & Dragons. From Barbarians to wizards, players let their imaginations soar. Displayed above are minis for one D&D group. The kinds of characters including a bugbear, fey, human necromancer, human bard, half-elf druid, goblin cleric, elven ranger (and her wolf) and a half-orc barbarian.
You may have heard about the game Dungeons & Dragons. The first thing that comes to mind for most people is an image of sulking nerds and geeks huddled around a table tossing dice in a basement. But the only accurate thing about this image is the use of dice. Quite to the contrary, D&D players are usually average people. You may not know it, but there are plenty of D&D players all around you.
On campus, there are quite a few folks who endeavor into the world of tabletop gaming.
D&D is a game of role playing and chance. Many people turn to this method of entertainment for several reasons: It is a group activity; it can be as much fun (if not more) as a book or a movie; it can be inexpensive; you choose your actions; and there is a role-playing game out there for anyone (ranging from fantasy to science fiction).
The basic synopsis of a D&D game involves players and a Dungeon Master. The players create their own characters. Characters can be one of many races and from many classes. From here, the DM will create a story in a world for the characters in which to adventure.
If you’ve ever read a fantasy novel, it is similar but also interactive. The players will run into NPCs (non-player characters) to talk to, monsters to fight, puzzles to solve, dungeons to explore and taverns to get drunk in. In the end, the characters will do something along the lines of defeating an epic boss and somehow saving the world.
D&D arose in 1974, when the rules were first published. The books quickly sold out; the game was destined to be a hit. Since then, many kinds of books have been published: Player’s Manuals, Dungeon Master Guides, Monster Manuals and even various storyline books (for those Dungeon Masters that don’t want to make up their own game).
D&D serves as a great creative outlet for many Linfield students. Not only do they get to see their friends, they release creative energies via role playing, adventure creating, illustrating characters and events or by painting minis (miniature figurines in the form of a character). Not only can people get together and play a fun game, but dinner or snacking sessions also ensure a good time.
The game is inexpensive to play. Theoretically, you could get everything you need to play online, such as rule books, dice simulators and Microsoft Word for a character sheet. However, most players still use pencils, paper and dice. Some groups even have placemats for drawing out the scenery and battle area to provide a visual.
The average D&D campaign meets about once a week. This is quite a challenge for student groups. Coming together as friends from different studies can prove to be quite difficult when meshing schedules. There have often been times when a D&D (or other RPG) campaign has been started at the beginning of the year and then went on hiatus because of busy schedules. One group on campus is large enough so that even if a couple of players are missing one week, there are still enough to have a game. This requires a bit of improvisational skill from the players, which can keep things fun and interesting.
No Linfield D&D player would comment on their love for the game.
If your idea of a D&D player is a nerd wearing glasses and a cape, drinking Mountain Dew in his mother’s basement under low lighting, you should rethink your idea. Chances are there are players and a campaign out there for you. All you need to do is find the right friends and theme, and a limitless adventure awaits.
Megan Myer
Photo editor Megan Myer can be reached at [email protected]