Women undefeated in NWC, men hold on to third

-photo by Jeff Primozich/For the Review

Jake Peterson

For the Review

The men’s and women’s tennis teams both enjoyed success over the week.

The men split their games to seal third place in the conference, while the women continued to tear through the Northwest Conference, remaining undefeated in league play for their 97th-straight league win. The win marked the women’s sixth consecutive undefeated NWC season. 

Over the weekend, senior Kasey Kuenzli equaled the Linfield career singles record with her 62nd victory. She can take sole possession of the record with a win April 19 at the NWC Championship.

On April 11, the closest game of the weekend for the women’s team took place in Salem against Willamette University.

In the doubles competition, No. 1 duo Kuenzli and sophomore Sallie Katter got the team off to a fast start with their 8-1 domination over Bearcat freshman Jamie Slonaker and senior Alaine Anderson.

Although Willamette stole the No. 2 doubles match, Linfield carried a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.

The top three matches were controlled by Linfield as the Wildcats outscored the Bearcats, 36-8, in just six sets. Linfield also received an expected win from the consistent play of senior Molly Nelson, who defeated Slonaker 6-1, 6-0.  Nelson has won four straight, improving her singles season record to 11-6.

The Bearcats won two singles matches, but it was not enough, as Linfield triumphed, 6-3.

The following day, the ‘Cats were locked in a doubleheader at home against Pacific Lutheran University and George Fox University.

Linfield flew through the first game, sweeping the Lutes in a quick 9-0 fashion. The following game, however, was not quite as easy. 

George Fox University tried to make things interesting after taking a surprise match over freshmen Sarah Click and Sarah Watanabe in the No. 3 doubles match, 8-6. This left the score 2-1 going into singles play.

Kuenzli silenced any hope of a Bruin comeback with a    6-0, 6-1 smacking of George Fox freshman Heather Orr. Kuenzli has won seven of her last eight games en route to a 13-5 season record.

Both Watanabe and sophomore Emma Becker took their matches into a third game and were able to come out victorious, ending any final push the Bruins were forming.

Linfield is now 15-4 overall, 15-0 NWC and No. 7 in the region. 

On April 12, the men found themselves in a nail biter in Tacoma, Wash., against Pacific Lutheran.

After falling behind              2-1 in doubles play, Linfield lost the No. 1 and 2 games in singles play. Senior Wesley Gabrielsen, playing in the   No. 3 match, swung the momentum back for the ‘Cats, defeating Lute sophomore Justin Peterson in a three game set, 6-4, 7-5, 12-10.

“It was a rough loss to handle,” junior Nick Ruess said. “It hurt that (sophomore Kyle Anderson) and I lost the tiebreaker in the doubles match. We could have really used that win.”

Freshmen Tal DeWitt and Mark Magdaong followed with victories of their own to even the overall score at four. In the final match of the day, freshman Brad Henson struggled in a 6-4, 6-1 loss to give the Lutes the 5-4 victory.

The following day, Linfield avenged the previous day’s loss with a 8-1 blowout of George Fox in Newberg.

Highlights of the day included a 6-1, 6-3, beating by No. 1 senior Nick Ruess. The win improved his season record to 9-7. Anderson also had a solid performance, defeating junior Ralf Schulz 6-0, 6-1.

“The loss actually helps us prepare for the championships,” Ruess said. “We are all confident right now and might have put some fear into PLU and Whitman. They should know that we aren’t going to be content with just staying in third place.”

The win improved the team’s record to 12-9 overall, 11-5 NWC.

Both teams play again April 18 in the NWC Championships in Yakima, Wash. Games will take place all day.

“We really think we can win it,” Ruess said. “The team that plays the best on Friday and Saturday will win. It could be anybody.”