Adrian Xavier spreads message of peace through reggae music

Amber McKenna

Artist Adrian Xavier brought reggae, soul and inspiration to campus last night as part of Diversity Week.

“I chose to bring him to campus because I really like his laid-back
personality,” junior Allison Lindell-Ross, cultural events chair of the Linfield Activities Board, said.
“His peaceful message seemed very appropriate for Diversity Week.”

Xavier is full of personality. Growing up in Washington with a human rights activist for a mom, he was exposed to some of the most prominent environmentalists of today. With a Los Angeles disc jockey for a dad, he started studying music at age five and met many industry professionals early on.

“At 10 years old, I went to my first concert, Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five, and sat with Dick Clark,” Xavier said.

Performing with Xavier was guest electric violinist Geoffrey Castle. Castle and Xavier often perform in each others’ ensembles for various shows.

His performance at Linfield coincides with the release of Xavier’s newest album, “Miracle.” Xavier said this new album reflects his growth as an artist, and calls it his most mature release to date.

Xavier said he has had the privilege of performing in Bend, Portland and Eugene, but this was his first time in McMinnville.

Aside from making music, Xavier said his band is committed to raising awareness about the environment.

“I want to encourage people and inspire them to have a low impact on the environment,” he said.

Following suit, all of the Xavier’s merchandise is manufactured using sustainable practices and
products.

Xavier said he has had the opportunity to participate in numerous festivals and events, where he can act as a resource on environmental issues, and gets to work with environmentally friendly companies.

“I’m excited to see that people are starting to wake up and say ‘We don’t have to live that way, with all the polluting; we can move toward the future,’” Xavier said.

Xavier’s music is available on iTunes; his current No. 1 seller is the single “Mother Nature.”

For more information on Xavier, visit www.adrianxavier.com or www.myspace.com/adrianxavier.