HHPA hours frustrating, inconvenient for students’ schedules

Athena Benjamin, Staff Writer

Many students complain that the HHPA gym hours are frustrating and inconvenient for their schedules.

On weekends, the weight room and fitness room have the same hours. Saturday’s hours are noon to 8 p.m., and Sunday’s hours are 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.

These hours are frustrating for morning people who want to start their day with a workout.

On the other hand, 9 p.m. is too early for the night owls. Many students stay up later on weekends, and they should have the opportunity to work out later than 8 or 9 p.m.

On weekdays, the hours vary more and are even less convenient for students’ schedules.

The weight room and fitness room have the same hours of 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., except the fitness room is also open from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.

The fitness room’s morning hours are more considerate of early rising students. This allows them to work out before their classes and get a boost of endorphins.

However, this puts a limit on how effectively students can work out since the weight room is closed.

The 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. hours are nonsensical. This is when a majority of Linfield classes are in session and is also almost exactly the same time that Dillin is open for lunch: 11 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.

Like the weekend hours, the 9 p.m. closing time is too early.

Whether students are early morning or late night people, it is inevitable that as college students, they will spend many nights up late, cramming for an exam or finishing an essay.

According to articles posted in The New York Times, HuffPost and Los Angeles Times, exercise is recommended to alleviate stress and to study and sleep more effectively.

According to a study done by Purdue University, students who regularly go to their schools’ recreational sports centers have higher GPAs.

Exercise has a positive influence on mental and physical health, so universities should be pushing for longer hours and advocating for student exercise.