Seniors weekend ends in smash

Alex Jensen, Sports Editor

The women’s tennis team blew out the Willamette Bearcats 9-0 and the Lewis and Clark Pio’s

7-2 over the weekend. The Wildcats played at home on Saturday and then in Portland on Sunday.

The Bearcats double and single competitors were no match for the Wildcats. The doubles team made up off senior’s Elsa Harris and Basia Kopecka took the Bearcats duo Mikaila Smith and Robin Pashek 8-3. Senior Marisa Doveri and freshman Michelle Uyeda also took their competitors Sarah Dean and Sylvia Marr 8-3.

“The matches were bittersweet. Both of them were awesome successes but were also the last conference matches we got to play with our graduating seniors. It was a very memorable senior weekend…and now we all look toward the championships,” Harris said.

Sophomore Kelsey Bartlett and senior Sierra Lemon grabbed the win 8-2 against the Bearcats Siena Ginsburg and Alexis Gjurasic.

On the singles side, Uyeda defeated Smith 0-6 and 2-6. Sophomore Riley Clayeux topped Willamette’s Robin Pashek 6-1 and 6-2. Doveri took Dean 6-2 and 6-3.

Kopecka overcame Ginsburg 0-6 and 1-6. Sophomore Alysse Nakasato also overtook her competitor Hannah Andres 0-6 and 1-6. Freshman Haley Fujimori snagged both her sets 6-3 against Marr.

Sunday, the Wildcats double teams cleaned the house. Senior Ella Riddle and Kopecka took their opponents Christine Eliazo and Kacey Incerpi 8-5. Uyeda and Harris fought past Natalie Kelly and Glenna Gee-Taylor 8-7. Clayeux and Fujimori outscored Adrienne Fox and Chloe Sermet 8-6.

Harris also blew pass her singles competitor Christine Eliazo 67-45 in the first set and 7-6 in the second.

“It has taken a lot of hard work, teamwork, and focus. Our team has so much talent and drive, it has been a privilege to be a part of something so special,” Bartlett said.

Clayeux took Kelly 6-3 for both sets. Doveri went 7-5 and 6-1 against Lewis and Clark’s Natasha Hood. Nakasato topped Riley Hanks 6-1 and 6-3.

Uyeda ultimately overtook Incerpi in the third set 10-6 after falling in the second 69 – 711. She initially led the match 6-4 in the first set.

Unfortunately, Fujimori fell to Lewis and Clark competitor Madelyn Landerfelt in the third set 3-10. Landerfelt took the first set but Fujimori overcame her in the second.

The Wildcats are undefeated in conference and have a 13-1 overall ranking. Their only loss came from Trinity.

“The hard work has only just begun though. We are heading into the conference tournament this coming weekend, which will determine if we go to regionals and then possibly to nationals. I have confidence in our team and our ability to get the job done this weekend,” Bartlett said.

Next, Linfield College will host the NWC Tournament starting 10a.m., Saturday at the tennis center. The Wildcats will kick the tournament off with Whitworth. Then Whitman and Lewis and Clark will compete against each other at 2p.m. The tournament will then resume on Sunday at 11a.m. for the finals.