Women’s tennis takes two, men’s tennis falls one

Braelyn Swan, Staff writer

The women’s tennis team took two wins against Pacific and George Fox while playing away matches at the respective schools. The men’s team played one match against George Fox on Sunday and took a loss of 1-8

In the women’s match on Saturday Linfield swept the court against Pacific with a final score of 9-0. During the match there was a brief power outage that lasted a few minutes at the Holce Tennis Courts in Forest Grove.

Doubles teams senior Ella Riddle and senior Basia Kopecka; freshman Haley Fujimori and sophomore Riley Clayeux; and senior Marisa Doveri and sophomore Michelle Ly won their matches with eight points for each pair.

Singles matches concluded with each Linfield player scoring six points in both sets of their match. Singles players for Saturday’s match included Ly, junior Elsa Harris, Fujimori, Doveri, Kopecka, and sophomore Alysse Nakasato.

“This weekend was a team effort. We had the opportunity to mix up our lineups against both opponents which truly shows the depth of our team. We’re getting ready for Senior Day and our last league matches next weekend before heading into Conference the following weekend,” Clayeux said.

Although the men’s team lost their overall match against George Fox, they did gain one win from doubles team junior Nathan Saragoza and junior J.T. Barcellos who went 9-7.

“We all competed well in every position. The intensity was very high throughout the match. Our doubles match was very close and we played good solid doubles to take the doubles win,” Saragoza said.

The women’s team finished Sunday with a score of 0-9 against George Fox. Each match was won including doubles partners Clayeux and Fujimori whose final score was 8-0.
Riddle and Kopecka completed their singles matches with scores of 6-0 for each set.

Next, the men’s team will compete against Lewis and Clark on Friday at Linfield and again on Saturday against Willamette in Salem. While the women’s team will compete against Willamette on Saturday at Linfield.