Linfield Oscars shows off student talent

Michaela Fujita, Staff Writer

On Thursday evening, Linfield students crowded into the Fred Meyer Lounge to watch the OSCARS.

The Original Student Created Artwork Revealing Showcase (OSCARS) is where six student groups performed their creative writing pieces, personally written music and choreographed dances.

To the side of the room were a beautiful presentation of visual arts: pottery, paintings and other graphics.

These artists are judged by Professor Anton Belov, ASLC President Alex Ogle and College Activities and Greek Life Program Assistant Sarah Fuller.

Angelina Saplan, ‘16, who was the winner of the Oscars, will get the opportunity to open for the opener band, My Brothers and I, at Wildstock.

Saplan will also receive a free shirt and get to be first in line for all the activities and food. Saplan performed two beautifully constructed poems. Her poems portrayed a raw and painful emotion.

Due to the amount of talent this event brought, the judges decided to reward the runner up with the opportunity to perform one song during Wildstock. The band, The Floors, comprised of Luke Carter, Matt Munyon, Luke Gershlinger and Kellie Bowen, was announced the runner up.

Although there were two winners tonight, FML exploded with unbelievable talent. Ben Bartu, ‘18, entertained the audience with his theatrical yet emotionally deep creative writing pieces. Arun Bajracharya performed his own composed instrumental song on his electric guitar. The

Wildcat Dance Team comprised of Kate Seaholm, Miranda Gill, Erynn Friend, Hannah Flom, Maddy McCormack, Mary Smalley and Nizhoni Garcia moved the audience both physically and literally. Andy “the Admiral” Nelson hyped up the crowd with his rap titled “CatDome.” The night closed with the band, Jonesing for Hope, comprised of Maggie Harlow, Matthew Piikea Kailio, Hope Hudson, Nathan Pellatz, Adrian Clifford, Joel Wenrich, Cramer Harlow and Lucas Balala.

“I think the event was a great display of the diversity of talent and cultures here at Linfield,” Hedie Ambrose, ‘16, said.

The event was a great way for all areas of Linfield student body to come together and appreciate each other’s talent.

“It was great seeing the Linfield community come out and support their fellow wildcats. Everybody who performed did great tonight. I can’t wait to do more events like this in the future,” said newly elected ASLC Vice President of Programming Cruz Morey, ’17.