Actor spotlight: Senior Caleb Kearns

Jordan Jacobo

He’s starring as character “A” in Marshall Theatre’s coming production, “Crave,” but don’t let the simple title fool you. Senior Caleb Kearns is as complex and thoughtful as the characters he embodies on stage.

Kearns, a double major in creative writing and theatre and communication arts, said his character is a deeply troubled man who looks for an outlet in life, but can’t find it.

For Kearns, that outlet is the performing arts.

His first experience with theaterwas during his sophomore year in high school, but Kearns skipped out on it during his freshman year at Linfield. His involvement happened by chance.

“The director came to me and told me about a part that she didn’t think she had found anyone for,” Kearns said of his audition for “Antigone” in fall of 2004. “She asked me to come to callbacks. So, I did and I got the part.”

Kearns said his experiences on stage made him realize acting or performing, whatever the venue, is something he needs to do for the rest of his life.

The respect he gives the power of the theater is what inspires him.

“We (as) a society (are looking) for actors to give us a break from our reality,” he said. “I think it’s a career that needs to be taken with a great amount of responsibility.”

Ty Marshall, professor of theatre and communication arts said Kearns’ work ethic makes him unique. Whether in the theater, class or student teaching, he puts in more hours than expected.

“He puts a lot of work into crafting a character,” Marshall said. “He’s dedicated to anything he sets out to do.”

After graduating in May, Kearns plans to travel in Europe. Then, he said he is moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in the performing arts.

“I think stage theater will always be there for the classics, but film and television are for all the new ideas,” Kearns said. “It takes an incredible amount of luck.”

Regardless of how the uncertainties of life play out, Kearns said he will take valuable experiences away from his involvement in the theater at Linfield.

“It’s allowed me to learn about process,” he said. “Each actor needs to develop his own process and way to go about his work.”

“Crave” will run March 18 through the 21 at 8 p.m. in Linfield’s Marshall Theatre. His final show, “Bleacher Bums,” will run later in the spring.

Marshall said he was confident that Kearns’ goal of a career in the performing arts is possible because of the qualities that make him unique.

“You couldn’t ask for an individual who would try anything more,” Marshall said. “He is involved and serious about his craft.”