‘Crave’ takes Linfield theater in a new direction

crave.jpg

–Photo by Jeff Primozich/For the Review

Amber McKenna

Features Editor  

All who are involved agree the spring play, “Crave,” is going to be an emotional battle for every single audience member and completely different than previous Linfield productions.

Directed by Janet Gupton, associate professor of theatre and communication arts, “Crave” brings to light the ugly underbelly of the human mind and the struggles of those who lead tormented lives.

Each of the fourcharacters are nameless,identified only by oneletter of the alphabet.

Sophomore Will De Biccari portrays character “B” in his first-everperformance. He describes his character as a young man addicted to everything.

“Drugs, sex, attention, etc.,” De Biccari said. “He’s always looking for the next big thrill, the next fix.”

Gupton said the four characters respond to one another while still remaining in their own individual worlds. Whether they are each their own person or little pieces of each other is open to interpretation. She said the play does notfollow the usual cause-and-effect format, nor does it have a linear plot.

“The dramatic structure of the play is more of a poem,” Gupton said.

The piece is set in an unidentified large city and seating will be arena style, in which audience members are seated on all four sides.

Other members of the cast are junior Afton Pilkington, as “M,” amother figure; senior Caleb Kearns, as “A,” a pedophile; and junior Trish Castaneda-Gonzales as “C,” a depressed young woman. Character “C” is said to reflect theplaywright herself.

Pilkington said, as an actor, the roles are emotionally draining, but worthwhile to portray.

“The characters lead these tortured, isolated lives and go through very quick emotional changes,” Gupton said.

“Crave” was written by British playwright Sarah Kane in 1998, who committed suicide a year later. Gupton said she thinks much of Kane’s inspiration for the play came from the author’s own experiences of depression.

Besides the small scale and unique production­ running one hour without intermission, this play deals with controversial issues such as rapeand suicide.

“We have pumped up the violence and sexual content in our interpretation,” Gupton said. “The tensions depicted grab you by the gut.” 

Gupton said she anticipates the audiencereaction to be empathetic, as people might be able to see elements of themselves or someone they know in the characters.

“This play is not afraid to put people onstage that we might not admire,” Gupton said.

Castaneda-Gonzales is also anxious to see the audience reaction.

“I think it is going to scare people, and they are going to be taken aback,” she said. 

Pilkington said other features of the play are the stunning visual effects and exceptional sound design.

“Crave” will open at 8 p.m. March 18 and run through March 21 in Marshall Theatre in Ford Hall. Tickets are $9 full price,  $7 for Linfield students, faculty, staff and senior citizens. Tickets are discounted $2 on opening night.

On opening night at7 p.m., a preperformance discussion will be held with the director and designers. For moreinformation visit www.linfield.edu/culture.