Wildcats dominate at Linfield Open

Casie Gaza/Senior sports reporter

It was a crazy weekend for the Wildcats Track and Field team which competed in the Linfield Open meet on May 10. 

The first event opened with senior Katie Skinner in the women’s 3000-meter steeplechase. Skinner finished in first place with time 12:06.78. 

In the running races, the Linfield ‘A’ team which consisted of freshman Lindsey Hall, sophomores Natasha Rowland and Brianna Stoifel, and freshman Olivia Marquardt, finished in first with time 54.20. Hall also finished second in the 400m dash with time 1:02.77. 

In the women’s 100m dash, sophomore Brenna Stinson finished first with time 12.80. Followed shortly after by freshman Haley Pattishall at time 13.23, Stoifel at time 13.70, and Marquardt at time 14.65. 

Linfield also dominated the 200-meter dash with Stinson, Pattishall, Hall, Stoifel, and Marquardt all placing in the top six. Stinson recorded the best time at 26.92. The women’s 800-meter run also showed well with junior Calli Dowdy placing fifth at time 2:31.91 and sophomore Sarah Rasmussen-Rehkopf at time 2:34.76. Lastly, senior Siena Noe competed in the women’s 5000m run and finished in third with time 19:00.50. 

Freshman Madison Gladding and Rowland also competed in the women’s 100-meters hurdles. Gladding finished second with time 16.97 and Rowland finished with time 17.92. Gladding also finished third in the 400-meter hurdles at time 1:11.10. 

On the men’s side, freshman Bryce Evans placed second in the 110-meter hurdles with time 17.25 seconds while teammate, sophomore Clay Monahan finished in 17.96 seconds for third place. Sophomore Steven Holland also competed in the 200-meter dash finishing second with time of 23.90.

In the women’s pole vault, Linfield’s Amanda Gibbon stole the show placing fourth with dis-tance 3.05 meters. Likewise, teammate senior Meghan Lockwood placed second with a final distance of 4.79m. Lockwood also took second in the triple jump with distance 10.44 meters. Meanwhile, senior Anna LaBeaume took first in the discus throw with a 40.51 meter throw while teammate senior Courtney Alley finished third with distance 33.87 meters. LaBeame and Alley also took second and fourth, respectively, in the women’s hammer throw with LaBeaume at dis-tance 45.19 meters and Alley at distance 40.03 meters. 

In the Javelin throw, senior Kate Shear placed second with a distance of 39.76 meters. Lastly, Alley and LaBeaume both placed second and third in the women’s shot put with Alley at distance 11.60 meters and LaBeaume at 10.80 meters.

For the men’s team, freshman Bryce Evans took first place in the long jump with distance of 6.26 meters.  In the men’s discus throw, freshman Lucas Clark stole the show with a first place finish at distance 40.55 meters, junior Tim Pang took second with distance 39.14 meters and sophomore Jake Evans also placed fourth in this event with distance 35.83 meters. Junior Morgunn Ewing placed first in the javelin throw with distance 58.91 meters while freshman Drew Doxsie finished sixth with distance 40.92 meters. 

Meanwhile, in the men’s shot put, freshman Scott An-derson finished first at distance 12.64 meters while Evans finished second at distance 11.95 meters. The last and final event came from Holland in the high jump with distance 1.85 meters. 

The track and field team will be competing next at the  West Coast Invitational in Salem, Ore. on May 15 at 10 a.m.

Junior Amanda Gibbon prepares to take a jump in the women's pole vault event. Gibbon cleared a height of 3.05 meters which put her on the Linfield top ten list.
Junior Amanda Gibbon prepares to take a jump in the women’s pole vault event. Gibbon cleared a height of 3.05 meters which put her on the Linfield top ten list.