Track and field sends ‘Cats to win at Pacific Twilight meet

It was an eventful weekend for the Wildcat Track and Field team who competed this weekend in the Pacific Twilight tournament in Forest Grove, Ore.

The beginning of the meet started with the women’s 100-meter dash. Junior Ellie Schmidt placed fourth with time 12.60 and sophomore Brenna Stinson placed ninth with time 12.96. Schmidt and Stinson excelled again in the women’s 200-meter dash with time 25.91 and eighth with a time of 26.85 respectively. Also in the running races was senior Hannah Greider, who ran the 1500-meter race with a time of 4:51.61. Senior Siena Noe finished third in the women’s 5000 meter run with a time of 18:14.78.

Freshman Dallas Edge stole the show again, finishing first in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.73 and teammate, freshman Madison Gladding finished eighth with a time of 16.55.

Senior Katie Skinner also performed outstandingly well finishing first in the women’s 3000-meter steeplechase. Skinner finished with a time of 11:52.04.

In the relays, girls Linfield ‘A’ finished fifth with a time of 49.60. Team-mates consisted of Schmidt, Stinson, Edge, and sophomore Rachael Gernhart. Junior Amanda Gibbon placed ninth in the pole vault with 2.75 meters. Similarly, senior Courtney Alley finished tenth in the women’s hammer throw with distance 38.11 meters while senior Kate Shear finished second in the javelin throw with distance 39.92 meters.

On the men’s side, freshman Jake Mihelich finished first in the men’s 400-meter dash with time 49.55 while senior Joe Gladow competed in the men’s 5000 meter run with a time of 15:51.63. In the men’s 110-meter hurdles, Linfield’s freshman Bryce Evans placed seventh with time 16.78 while sophomore Clay Monahan placed ninth with time 17.54. Monahan also placed eighth in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1.03.05.

Meanwhile, freshman Chris Roth competed in the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase and finished fifth with a time of 10:40.02. In the men’s high jump, sophomore Steven Holland finished third with height 1.85 meters. Evans pulled out a sixth place finish in the men’s long jump with distance 6.11 meters. Likewise, freshman Kennedy Johnson placed third in the triple jump with distance 13.84 meters while freshman Eric Igbinoba finished sixth with distance 13.33 meters. In the men’s shot put, freshman Scott Anderson placed seventh with distance 13.18 meters and senior Nick Fairhart finished sixth in the hammer throw with distance 50.75 meters. Lastly, junior Morgunn Ewing brought it home for the Wildcats with a third place finish at distance 56.63 meters.

According to Edge, this meet was to “qualify for nationals [or place in the] top 22 nationally.” She continues by adding that her “…season goal is to place in the top-eight at Nationals and stay healthy. I would definitely like to run another lifetime best.” Edge also noted that she plans to take a year off of soccer to focus on her track and field training. With her determination and never say quits attitude, there’s no doubt that Edge will represent Linfield well at the National meet.

Casie Gaza/Senior sports reporter