Women’s lacrosse fights to the end in tough away game

It was a tough but hard-fought match for the Linfield Lacrosse team who took another season loss to the Pacific University Box-ers on April 11 with a score of 18-4.

In the first half of the match, the Boxers scored twelve goals in comparison to Linfield’s three. All of the ’Cats goals in the first half came from junior Halee Helgerson. Helgerson’s first goal came from a foul on the Boxers and a clear shot at the goal. Her second goal came from an assist by team-mate, freshman Nicole Aguilar after a great ground ball pickup. Her third goal came from freshman Madilyn Bechtel in a clear at-tempt at the goal. Statistically, the team showed well defen-sively with six saves, and only seven turnovers.

However, the second half of the match was a different story with only six runs scored by the Boxers in comparison to the first half’s twelve. Linfield’s single goal came from senior Shelby Duarte with 5:36 left on the clock. With a save from goalie, sophomore Erika Phillipo, Duarte was on the move and with a clear attempt added one more goal to Linfield’s score. Although Pacific would continue on to score another two goals to finish the match, it was clear that the Wildcat defense was relentless with twelve turnovers in comparison to the Boxer’s 13 and four saves in comparison to the Boxer’s three.

Although the Wildcat Lacrosse team did not having a winning game, it is clear that they were true winners today. The Women’s Lacrosse team has one last match at home on April 14 against Loras College.

Casie Gaza/Senior sports reporter

[email protected]