Women’s golf gets tough loss in recent tournament

The women’s golf team competed at the NWC Spring Classic finishing seventh out of nine teams at Canyon Lakes on April 5-6.

The team went against some tough weather conditions this last weekend. The team has a rough start in the two-day tournament with having only one player in the top-20. Senior Alexandria Smith led the team on the first day with a score of 88. During the round Smith got one birdy and three pars.

“We played fairly well considering the conditions,” Smith said. “The wind was fairly challenging, but overall we have good holes and bad holes.”

The rest of the team struggled with the course as while with the next person being sophomore Maggie Harlow who ended the first day with a 96. Junior Erin Crofcheck ended the day with a 101 and freshman Laura Waller ended with a 110.

“We didn’t do as well as we would have liked to,” Harlow said. “There were some positive take-aways from the weekend that we will build on for the next tournament.”

The team went back the next day and had mix results on the course. For some of the ‘Cats it was a much better day while for other it was only worse. The Wildcats ended seventh out of the nine competing teams with a score of 798. Smith ended the day with a 93 and the tournament with a final score of 181. Harlow followed with a second day score of 95, Waller with a score of 102 and Crofcheck with a score of 113.

“For me at least, I was sticking the ball well and hitting the greens, but wasn’t putting well,” Smith said. “Today nothing was really coming together between hitting and putting. For the team in general I think the pace of play was slower making it hard to find a groove.”

The women’s golf team will compete at the Willamette Invitational at Broken Top on April 12-13.

“We’re going to continue to work this week on our individual areas of improvement,” Harlow said. “This will hopefully better our team performance in the Willamette Invitational.”

Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor