Bad weather holds ’Cats back in tournament

The Linfield golf team struggled in the tournament in Kennewick, Wash., but it wasn’t entirely their fault. Despite the scores being higher than usual, the team still managed to place in the top half of the leader board, finishing fourth out of nine teams.

The weather was not on any golfers side in this tournament. As told by Junior Linfield golfer Logan Munson, “Both days had a constant 25 MPH wind, and the course was rock hard.”  In addition to the wind moving their ball around which every way it felt while the shot was in the air, the solid ground made it very difficult for any golfer to pick the ball cleanly.

Munson was the highlight of the Linfield team, finishing tied for sixth individually due to playing a great round on his second day to make up for his mediocre first round.

“I played really well today (April 6),” Munson said. “I shot a 75 after an 82 yesterday.”

Only four players were able to keep each days score under 80, this greatly to the fact that the weather conditions were not ideal for playing golf. Seven over was the best two day combined score, coming from Whitworth’s Stephen Plopper who shot a 78, followed by a 75.

Linfield’s start golfer Taylor Klopp struggled to stroke the ball in the inclement weather. Klopp shot an 81 and an 82, staying consistent for the two days but not playing as well as he had wished.

Whitworth was the team to pull out the victory for the entirety of the tournament. The team shot a combined 618 or 42 over par. Willamette came in second, but not a close second. Whitworth had two of the top three scores, and didn’t have a single individual finisher above 17th.

The Wildcats will travel to compete in the Willamette Invitational on the weekend of April 5 and 6 at Broken Top golf course. There they will hope for a little better luck with the weather, which will hopefully show better scores for golfers and a higher team finish.

Drew Mahrt/ For the Review