American Authors debut album

You know that one song that has been stuck in your head because it’s been all over movies or television commercials?

Chances are it’s “Best Day of My Life” sung by up-and-coming pop rock band American Authors.

The band formed in Boston in 2006 when members of American Authors met at the Berklee College of Music and performed under the name The Blue Pages.

They later relocated to Brooklyn.

Although the band released their debut single, “Believer,” in 2012, it wasn’t until the release of “Best Day of My Life,” that American Authors started making waves.

American Authors’ “Oh, What a Life,” is a great debut as the album captures the fearlessness, energy and catchiness of pop music.

The plucked banjos in “Best Day of My Life” and “Trouble” shamelessly contribute to the catchiness of the tunes, the former especially.

The band also evokes the musical style of Mumford & Sons through its intensity and sincerity in songs such as “Oh, What a Life” and “Luck.”

American Authors is reminiscent of the pop flair of Foster the People, the catchy sing-along choruses of the Imagine Dragons and Fun., and the resounding urgency of Bastille, which is also gaining recognition with its song, “Pompeii.”

“I am my own man, I make my own luck,” lead singer Zac Barnett boasts on another highlight track, “Luck.”

The track depicts the lead singer as a man seeking forgiveness from his family after he ups and leaves his town in search for bigger and better things.

The sixth track on the album, “Hit It,” was featured in the video game FIFA ‘14 and revs up the mid-‘90s sound of pop rock groups such as Green Day and Blink 182.

The track’s bridge is a definite tongue twister but sure to get everyone singing along.

“One day we’ll look at the past, with love,” the band chants. “Love,” the eighth track, is a summery tune that is also a sweet and poignant introspective on life.

“Oh, What a Life” is the perfect track to close the album as it captures the joyful and earnest essence of American Authors’ musical style.

The banjo plucks and violins give the track a folksy feel, while the “oohs” and “aahs” during the chorus elevates it into a memorable pop tune.

American Authors are currently on tour around the country and will make their way to the Sleep Country Amphitheater on June 10 in Ridgefield, Wash.

American Authors’ “Oh, What a Life” is available for digital download on iTunes and available for purchase in stores. You can also check out “Oh, What a Life” on KSLC 90.3 FM and listen online at www.linfield.edu/kslcfm or stream the station on iTunes.

Vanessa So / KSLC Music Director

Vanessa  So            can          be            reached   at             [email protected]