’Cats dominate in back-to-back games

The undefeated softball team kept up its winning steak this weekend against Pacific Lutheran University and Puget Sound University with back-to-back games.

The Wildcats team defeated the Lutes despite the poor weather conditions on March 2 with final scores of 3-0, 6-1.

Senior pitcher Karina Paavola pitched all seven innings of the first game striking out nine players and never let the Lutes get past second base. The team secured their win in the later innings with single runs to get a score of 3-0.

The ’Cats continued to run past the Lutes during the second game that day. The two teams started off at a stand off with neither one getting a single run in until the sixth inning. Pacific Lutheran got on the board first with a single run before giving the ball back to Linfield. That’s when the Wildcats got six unanswered runs, one right after the other. The Cats then held the Lutes for the final inning, striking them out to a final score of 6-1.

Linfield continued its undefeated streak after winning the two games against Puget Sound University on March 8 with final scores of 9-1, 9-1.

The ’Cats started the first game an explosion of runs in the second inning after no one being on the board yet. Linfield brought in five runs before the end of the inning with the first one being from a hit by senior Haylie Watson. The Loggers finally got on the board with a run in the fourth inning, however once the ’Cats were at bat they got four more runs sealing their win.

Linfield got ready for its final game that would determine if this would be another winning weekend. The Wildcats didn’t wait long to get ahead, getting on the board first with three runs in the first inning. The Loggers got their only run in the fourth inning like the last game and also like the first inning the ‘Cats proceeded to pull even farther ahead with three more runs. Going into the fifth inning the ‘Cats didn’t want to make the game last any longer so they sealed the Loggers fate by getting 3 more runs making the final score, 9-1.

The softball team will play Pacific University at 5 p.m. on March 12 at home.

Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor

Senior Katy Brosig runs to the next base during one of the games against University of Puget Sound on March 8, which the Wildcats won 9-1.

Photo courtesy of Kelly Bird

Junior Montana McNealy pitches toward a University of Puget Sound player that the Wildcats won 9-1 for both games.

Photo courtesy of Kelly Bird