Track and Field jumps into the new season

The rainy day was no match for the Linfield track and field team. In their season’s first home meet, it was evident that the team had seen many bright spots and improvements since the start of practice in January.

The first event of the meet was the Women and Men 10000-meter run. Linfield’s senior Hannah Greider ran in with her best time of 38:19.35 and her teammate senior Siena Noe ran in shortly after at 38:43.50. On the other hand, Linfield’s men track and field team also competed in the 10000-meter run with Joe Gladow coming in tenth place with his best time of 32:47.85

Next up were the 4×100-meter relays. The women’s team placed second and the men’s team placed third with times 50.67 and 45.38 respectively. Members of the girls team are juniors Ellie Schmidt and Halsie Peek, sophomore Rachael Gernhart and freshman Dallas Edge. Members of the men’s team are freshmen Treve’ Ensley, Jake Mihelich and Kennedy Johnson, and sophomore Steven Holland. In the 4×400-meter relay, Linfield’s men’s and women’s team finished in the middle of the pack. The ladies came in sixth place with time 4:20.92 and the boys finished fifth at time 3:35.84.

The 400-meter dash and 200-meter dash was also a strong event for the Wildcats men’s and women’s team. Both Schmidt and Mihelich were outstanding performers as Schmidt finished fourth and second and Mihelich finished fourth and sixth respectively. Similarly, the 100-meter dash was an outstanding event for the Women with three ladies placing in the top ten. Peek ran for time 12.95, Edge ran for time 13.09, and sophomore Brenna Stinson ran for time 13.28.

In the women’s 800-meter run, Linfield’s junior Audrey Lichten placed fourth with time 2:28.38 and teammate junior Calli Dowdy placed eighth at time 2:31.10. On the men’s side, junior Chad Linnerooth ran for time 2:04.07 in the 800-meter run and teammate freshman Art O’Kelly ran for time 2:05.03. In the 1500-meter run Lichten placed third for the women with time 5:02.05 only 10 seconds off from the first place finisher. Likewise, the 5000-meter run was a strong event for the women and Men with junior Madison Trowbridge running for 19:02.37 and freshman Michael O’Neil obtaining a sixth place finish at 16:01.33.

Conversely, the hurdles proved to be a spectacular event for Edge and teammate sophomore Tasha Rowland. Edge placed first in the Women 100-meter Hurdles race with time 15.33 and Rowland placed ninth with time 17.68. The Women’s 400 Meter was also a successful race for the ’Cats Women’s team with freshman Madison Gladding and Rowland coming in sixth and seventh place. On the men’s side, Knight finished third place in the 400-meter hurdles with time 1:00.47.

On the other hand, the Men showed well in the long jump with Johnson jumping for a high of 6.35 meters. Sophomore Rachael Gernhart did outstandingly well in the women’s triple jump with a meet high of 10.96 Meters. The men’s triple jump also performed outstandingly well with Johnson taking second place and his teammate, freshman Eric Igbinoba placing third.

The women’s discus throw went well for the women’s ’Cats with senior Anna LaBeaume placing third with a distance of 36.33 meters. LaBeaume also performed well in the women’s hammer throw placing third with a final distance of 44.64 Meters. Likewise, freshman Lucas Clark placed tenth with a throwing distance of 38.62 meters. In the men’s hammer throw, senior Nick Fairhart finished seventh with a distance of 44.81 meters. Also performing well was senior Kate Shear in the javelin throw for a distance of 39.30 meters. On the men’s side, freshman Andrew Laney threw 48.97 meters and finished second overall.

Casie Gaza/For the Review

[email protected]

Freshman Kennedy Johnson does his jumps during the Erik Anderson Memorial Icebreaker during Feb. 28 and March 1.The tea will next be competing at the GFU Rich Allen Classic.

Spencer Beck/Staff photographer