Men’s basketball ends season on high note

The men’s basketball team finished just as the women’s team did. They won two of three games with both of their wins coming in front of their home crowd.

Men's Basketball 2
Freshman Tanner Brill (4) launches up to shoot two of the 70 points that the Wildcats scored against Willamette University.
Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

They started their final week against Willamette University, winning by seven with the final score of 70-63.

Their defence held all but one Willamette player to single digit scoring.

Freshman Tanner Brill was the player to watch in this game, scoring 20 points and dishing out five assists.

Freshman Jackson Gion had a great game from beyond the arch, cashing in 50 percent of his shots from three and scoring 14 on the game.

Linfield shot right around the 50 percent mark as a team from both the field and the three point line, while holding Willamette players to only 35 percent from the field.

The men’s second game of the week was an away game against Pacific University where they lost 81-55.

The game was a story of poor defence on Linfield’s part, as they allowed Pacific to shoot over 50 percent from the field.

Pacific center Daniel Zitani had a great game, scoring 28 on Linfield and adding 11 rebounds.

Linfield scorers barely made it out of single digits, with only two players scoring 10 points and no one grabbing more than four rebounds.

Linfield knew they had to come out and preform in their next game against Pacific Lutheran to make up for the game against Pacific, and that they did.

They came out with what seemed like something to prove, outscoring the Lutes by 15 in the first half alone.

They passed the ball effectively throughout the game, having an assist come from 15 of their 26 scores, and they absolutely dominated the glass by pulling down 43 rebounds.

Junior Chris Dirks had a great game coming off the bench, scoring 16 points to go along with his 10 rebounds and two assists.

Senior Cory Hendryx also had an impressive game, scoring 14 and shooting 5-8 from the field.

Linfield went on to win the game 67-47, ending their season nicely.

Although the team struggled for the majority of the year, they expect this great finish to carry over into next season and bring them a few more wins.

Drew Mahrt/Senior Sports reporter