Wildcats tee off the new season

The men’s golf team finished second at the Pacific Spring Tuneup at Quail Valley on Feb. 23.

Leading the team was junior Taylor Pirnke who got a 73 with 15 pars and one birdie. Pirnke was only 3 strokes away from the third place spot held by Pacific University player, Joshua Mau.

“We are so early into the season, today’s finish was a step in the right direction,” Pirnke said in an email. “Since we are coming off a long lay off, our performance was great today. As a team, if we just keep improving our games day to day, I believe we can have a great season.”

Other players were junior Kyle Hargrave who got seventh with a score of 74, followed by junior Taylor Klopp that got ninth with a score of 75.

“We all played pretty solid,” Kloop said in an email. “Our team us deep this spring and we hope to have some strong showings in the coming weeks. Overall, [we are] excited for this spring and to getting back after it.”

All together the team scored a score of 300 which was eight points away from the first place winners Willamette.

“I am looking forward to next week, when we start competing with the best teams in the conference at Tacoma,” Pirnke said in an email. “Overall today’s finish was a good momentum boost.”

The Wildcats will next play at the Pacific Lutheran Invitational at the home course on March 1-2.

Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor

[email protected]