Zero waste is achievable here

For the first time in Wildcat history, Linfield College started off the 2013 spring semester with an all-new

Office of Sustainability, complete with official Sustainability Coordinator, Duncan Reid.

As a former student at the college, Reid knows the ins and outs of the campus life from both the student

and administrative perspectives.

Reid and his trusty sidekicks, also known as the sustainability team, have taken over the responsibility

and privilege of overseeing the “green” and sustainable projects that are spreading across campus.

One of the major projects that Reid identifies as a priority is the “Zero Waste Campaign,” an effort to

reduce campus’ waste to “zero.” In addition, the campaign seeks to keep as much waste as possible from

the Riverbend Landfill, practically located in our own backyard.

Reid saw many similar campaigns and organizations popping up in other communities on campus, so he

decided that the “Zero Waste Campaign“ would be a perfect start for the new Office of Sustainability.

A feat this big could not possibly be attained alone. Therefore, Tim Stewart of facilities, Rob Gardner’s

environmental sociology class and senior Katricia Stewart, the president of Greenfield, have teamed up to

initiate the campaign.

The campaign consists of several different projects and events, including the Recycle Bin Pilot Program

funded by an Associated Students of Linfield College sustainability grant. The grant implemented special

recycling bins across campus during the past summer that included options for landfill, commingled, glass

and compost.

These bins are user-friendly and help keep items separated by using specific labels.

Items that can be recycled in the commingled bins include: newspapers, corrugated cardboard, scrap

paper, plastic bottles and magazines.

Glass bottles and jars have their own bin. Our compost ends up as pig feed, so think “What could a pig

eat?” and go with your gut.

Other campaign projects will include a “Zero Waste Challenge” for the Linfield community members

to participate in during Earth Week events and a recycling guide that maps out various recycling options

available on campus for students to use when moving out of the campus residencies.

No doubt, this year’s freshmen have already seen a “greener” orientation compared to previous years.

The members of the Zero Waste task force are excited to get back to work this fall as the campaign will

continue its journey toward a more sustainable campus.

But still the burning question remains, will you join us to accomplish zero waste for Linfield?

For the Review

Marisa Specht

Maris Specht can be reached at [email protected].