Comedian fails to meet expectations, lacks originality

Comedian Mary Patterson Broome performed March 16 at Ice Auditorium, attempting to keep the crowd’s attention through some mediocre comedy.

This southern belle brought up problems that all students deal with like social media, dating, getting a job and parents.

Although she was able to relate to the audience, her jokes were only funny enough to cause people to smile, not laugh.

Despite the inability to bring the audience to laugh out loud standards, Broome did a good job of playing into the audience that was there.

While the auditorium only had about a third of the seats full, she made sure to keep things alive by interacting with specific audience members, calling out a person for coming in late and giving out thanks to those who were physically responsive to her initial jokes.

Although her interactive nature kept the women in the audience satisfied, a number of men left early from the show.

Awkward dating stories and acknowledgment of her subtle attractiveness probably left the men in the  audience feeling just as awkward as she did and itching to leave.

She talked about her jobs before comedy, including her job selling all-natural honey at a Los Angeles farmers market.

Southern comedian Mary Patterson Broome tosses around dating jokes and British stereotypes during her show March 14 in Ice Auditorium.  Joel Ray/Senior photographer
Southern comedian Mary Patterson Broome tosses around dating jokes and British stereotypes during her show March 14 in Ice Auditorium.
Joel Ray/Senior photographer

In a southern accent, she called herself a “honey hustler peddling that sweet nectar.” She defined it as one of the most degrading points of her life in Hollywood.

Broome could work on originality. Hearing jokes about how British people have bad teeth or how theatre majors are over dramatic are the oldest stereotypes in the book.

She tried to add her own twist, yet her inexperience showed through.

To find more information on Mary Patterson Broome or her comedic jokes, you can visit her blog called “Upper-Middle Class Angst,” where she discusses the problems of being a moocher off her parents, while trying to make it in Hollywood.

Quinn Carlin

Staff writer

Quinn Carlin can be reached at [email protected].