Football coach, players donate time, furniture

Photo by Rachael Palinkas/Photo Editor

Photo by Rachael Palinkas/Photo Editor

Katie Paysinger

Linfield junior and single mother Darcy Thompson and her baby, Tristan Jay, no longer have to live in a bare apartment.

Thompson was overwhelmed when she found out several of Linfield’s football players would be bringing over furniture to fill her nearly empty space in response to a story in the Feb. 22 issue of the Review.

During the fall, Thompson took the semester off  to prepare for becoming a mother. Coming back to school this spring, her main concern was where she and her son would live. Because there is no significant need, Linfield does not offer family housing. She now resides in an apartment at the Tall Oaks Estates.

When Doug Hire, associate head football coach, read about Thompson and her situation in the Review, he immediately called up his players to let them know about the great opportunity to help.

“The first thing that came to my mind was that we could do something for her,” Hire said. “I commend her. Raising a child alone is no easy task, let alone being a full-time student and working.”

Junior Dan Lever was the main player in correspondence with Thompson. Freshman Nick Katt, sophomore P.J. Sequeira and senior Brett Smedley were the other players involved.

“Just being a student athlete here is sometimes overwhelming,” Lever said. “I couldn’t imagine being a full-time student, having a job and then going home and taking care of someone else.”

Thompson couldn’t believe the generosity of the team.

“When I first got the e-mail, I almost teared up,” she said. “It was so unexpected of them, very heartwarming and thoughtful. I just wanted to give everyone a big hug.”

Hire and Lever both donated furniture. Hire is in the process of remodeling his home, so his donation became a base the players worked from.

Thompson was given a sectional couch, an entertainment center, TV, kitchen table and desk. Lever and Smedley also collected $130 from Linfield students to donate to Thompson.

Lever and Hire said media attention was never one of their intentions in this act of kindness.

“I want our guys to be champions,” Hire said. “One way to be champions is to help when help is needed, not when everyone is watching.”

Thompson is still getting used to the new additions in her apartment.

“I feel like I’ve actually moved into a home,” Thompson said. “It doesn’t feel like just a place I’m staying in.” 

She plans to make everyone cookies as a way to say thank you.

“We have good kids at Linfield,” Hire said. “It’s important for our kids to learn how to give back. I personally suggested baby-sitting.”

Lever has no regrets about helping out one of his peers. He wishes more students were aware of situations like this around campus so more people could help out.

“It was definitely a good Sunday activity,” Lever said. “Much better than sleeping in and playing video games.”

Hire has never met with Thompson in regard to his donations because he said it was really his players who took the initiative and helped her out. Hire had only positive advice           for Thompson.

“Keep doing what you’re doing,” Hire said. “It will pay off for you and your son.”