New director open to change, ideas

Nicole Bennett

Sodexho’s new director Bill Masullo was humbly working at the checkout counter in Dillin Hall Monday morning, wishing     students good morning. His upbeat attitude and culinary background are the tools he will use to give students a new dining experience.

Masullo took over for former director Jason Briles mid-December after starting with Sodexho just four months prior. Briles, who has been working with Sodexho for eight years, will continue working for the company with an increased focus on catering and retail.

The position change is a result of the recent addition to Briles’ family: a third child. Briles said he requested to have more time at home, and Sodexho made it happen.

“The job I have now is not more or less work,” he said. “I have fewer responsibilities, but it is different with its own challenges.”

Briles’ current position involves organizing events including monthly McMinnville City Council meetings and working on more effective marketing and customer service for students.

“We take student feedback seriously,” Briles said. “I will take comments I receive and run with them.”

Masullo, who was happy to take over for Briles, said the key to learning what he needs to do for this job is understanding before you are understood. Masullo is still learning how to work with the company; however, he has been working with Linfield for several years through events such as the wine festival since moving here in 1990.

Student promotional coordinator senior Kathleen Reilly has worked with Briles in the past and said Masullo is a great addition to the team.

“Both of them are great,” Reilly said. “I am excited to see what we accomplish this semester.” 

Masullo is counting on comments from students and the new faces in Linfield’s administration to perform his job. He said he is excited to work with everyone to make Dillin the best it can be.

“There is a lot of new blood,” he said. “The way it’s been is not how it  has to be.”

Masullo expressed an open mind about the way Dillin, and the surrounding venues such as O’Riley’s   and the Observatory, are run. He said there are limits, but he has many ideas. Masullo hopes students will express their opinions to make the best dining experience and satisfy as many as possible.

“We need to market better,” Masullo said. “The next step is better storytelling about the programs and products we offer, so students are aware of all the things available to them.”

One of the things Masullo wants students to be aware of is the majority of Dillin’s produce and meat products are grown locally. Masullo has even taken staff and students on field trips to see the contributing farms.

“You can actually meet the guy who is growing the food,” Masullo said.

Students also may not be aware of the numerous programs Sodexho supports, such as STOP Hunger and the Gift University program, which allows students and parents to send gifts including flowers or care packages for any occasion.

“We have great growth potential,” Masullo said. “The key is variety and maintaining a strong team. We want to provide information that is all-inclusive and have a knowledgeable staff, too.”

To find out more about the products Dillin Hall offers, go to the dining services’ Web site at   www.linfield.edu/dillin.

The site offers information regarding programs, coming events and nutritional guidelines. Menus, meal plans and feedback options are available as well.