Smoking study may spur changes

Claire Oliver

George Fox University and Oregon Health and Sciences University have been declared smoke free. University of Oregon students have made a push to do the same.

Linfield may be next.

The Linfield community will get a chance to voice its opinions on tobacco use when a new survey and new awareness measures hit campus this spring.

Though surveys about general student health and behavior have been circulated in the past, this study is focuses strictly on tobacco use.

The survey, distributed by Christina Ries, coordinator of health promotion and student wellness, will gather attitudes and beliefs not only from students, but faculty and administration, as well.

“(The survey is meant) to collect information campuswide about (smoking), chew, hookah and to find out about people’s knowledge of policy,” Susan Chambers, adjunct professor of health and human performance, said. “We’re trying to get a feel for where we stand.”

Tobacco prevention is the focus of Chambers’

Drug Use class this term. The information collected will aid discussion of issues such as use, youth prevention programs and secondhand smoke.

Smoking was also a topic of discussion at a recent ADAPT meeting, spurred by initiatives taken by neighboring schools to make their campuses smoke free. However, there are no plans to pursue this policy at Linfield.

“At the ADAPT meeting, we talked about the fact that other schools have smoke-free policies, and we agreed that that’s not a route we want to go right now,”

Chambers said.

Students agree a ban on smoking would be too much of a leap.

“We pay just as much as anyone else to go here,” a freshman smoker, who did not wish to be identified, said. “Most students are pretty open to smoking. I’ve never met anyone who’s flat out against it.”

She said smoking is even part of the social scene on certain parts of campus.

Some non-smokers see tobacco use as an individual’

s right.

“Although I don’t agree with smoking, it is a personal choice, and it is legal and shouldn’t be the college’s (jurisdiction to decide),”

sophomore Kendra Newell said.

Measures are being taken to make sure students are aware of the current regulations at Linfield, namely that smoking must be done at least 30 feet from all buildings.

“It’s a real problem around the (Hewlett-Packard Park Apartments),” Chambers said. “People aren’t allowed to smoke on their balconies, so they go downstairs.”

Students often complain about smoke drifting in through their open windows, she said.

“I didn’t know Linfield had a policy,” Newell said. “I see people smoking right outside the dorms and right outside O’Riley’s all the time.”

As a smoker, Newell said she knew about the policy, but she never                                     sees it enforced.

Chambers is hoping to develop and distribute stickers reminding people of the designated smoking areas.

Until money is raised to produce these stickers, the class is discussing other ways to increase awareness. On April 2, the class will participate in Kick Butts Day, advocating prevention.

To get others involved, the class will draw chalk lines around all off the campus buildings indicating how far away 30 feet actually is.

Especially emphasizing entrances, Chambers said, will draw attention to secondhand smoke and its effects.

This is a consideration many students outside of the class have already made.

“I think about all the toxins they’re putting in their bodies,” Newell said. “I think it’s kind of rude because it’s not just their environment they’re affecting.”