Piano “kapers” display skills.

Professor hand selects

pieces for advanced musicians

Joelle Cheek

Linfield Review staff

Two pianists will get the chance to shine in Keyboard Kapers.

At the end of every semester, Jill Timmons, artist in residence and professor of music, meticulously revisits her collection of music, matching each of her students with their own piano piece selection. She takes into careful consideration the students’ personality, how long they have been playing and what piece he or she would like to play.

The students are performing the pieces chosen for the recital on Feb. 25 at 4 p.m. in Ice Auditorium.

Timmons, who has been with Linfield for 25 years, said the recital is a great experience for student performers.

“It gives the students a chance to give a free concert for the community, and it gives them a goal,” Timmons said.

She said the recital is an important part of the curriculum, and it is important for students to not only study the instrument they are learning, but to get real-world experiences with the instrument as well.

Students in the show have been practicing their selected pieces for several months.

The performers faced some obstacles while preparing for this live show, Timmons said.

“Everyone has a challenge, it pushes them to a new level (and) really makes them stretch,” Timmons said.

Two of the students performing, senior Cassie Ungersma and sophomore Amanda Uppiano, have played piano for many years.

Ungersma will be playing a piece entitled, “Prelude from Suite Bergamasque” composed by Claude Debussy.

“The piece is impressionist, which paints a more broad and general picture in the audience’s head,” Ungersma said.

She chose one of Debussy’s musical pieces because she said she felt she could express herself the best in his music.

Uppiano also chose a piece from Debussy. She will be playing “Gardens in the Rain.”

Uppiano has been practicing this piece for a little more than a year. She said she chose it because of the beautiful imagery as the music progresses.

“It’s all about the storm developing, going from sweet rain drops and then building into a thunderstorm,” Uppiano said.

The students’ love of the piano clearly shows through because of all the hard work they have completed, Timmons said. Their commitment and endless hours of practice all come down to the performance.

Uppiano said she likes how she is able to recreate music that students love.

Ungersma shares this same joy of playing an instrument.

It gives you a sense of accomplishment by experiencing and creating beauty,” she said.