Do you remember the time when…?

Despite the Linfield microcosm, the world outside our small college is turning fast. Students may have been out of the loop while spending hours studying or hanging out with friends. This timeline focuses on some of the events that occurred during the course of the academic year.

•September 8 — President Barack Obama gives a speech to students with the intent of inspiring and challenging them to set goals and work hard in school.

•September 14 — Patrick Swayze, who starred in movies such as “Dirty

Dancing” and “Ghost,” dies at age 57.

•September 15 — Lady Gaga continues to surprise audiences with eccentric costumes, such as her red couture outfit, which

covered her face at the 2009 VMA awards.

•September 27 — Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom wed in California in front of family and friends, as well as E-Television.

•September 30 — An earthquake in Indonesia kills 700 people. The 7.6-magnitude quake destroyed homes and killed many on the island of Sumatra. Thousands were trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings in the city of Padang.

•October 1 — Obama passes a new bill that bans federal employees from driving and texting at the same time.

•October 24 — Obama declares the swine flu a national outbreak.

•November 4 — Yankees win the 27th World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies. They played the Phillies in Yankee Stadium, which was the team’s first win against them since 2000.

•November 20 — “New Moon,” part of the Twilight Saga, premieres at midnight.

•November 21 — The investigation of Dr. Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson’s doctor, continues in the

media. Jackson died June 25 at the age of 50 from a drug overdose.

•November 25 — Tigers Woods’ mistress is revealed in the media the day after his wife finds out about his affair and takes matters into her own hands.

•December 11 — Kendra Wilkinson, former Playmate, and her husband Hank Basket III, wide receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles, bring baby Hank Basket IV into the world.

•December 14 — Kourtney Kardashian gives birth to baby Mason with family by her side.

•December 20 — Brittany Murphy, an actress in movies such as “Clueless” and “Just Married,” dies at the age of 32 after going into cardiac arrest.

•December 22 — Rapper T.I. is released from jail after a seven-month stay because of a gun possession charge.

•January 14 — An earthquake hits Haidi with a 7.0 magnitude, demolishing homes and families.

•January 18 — Justin Bieber comes out with his hit song, “Baby”.

•January 28 — J.D. Salinger, author of “The Catcher in the Rye” dies at the age of 91.

•February 4 — Casey Johnson, heiress of the Johnson & Johnson, dies at the age of 30.

February 7— The New Orleans Saints wins Super Bowl XLIV against the Indianapolis Colts.

•February 12 — The Olympics opening

ceremony is held in Vancouver, B.C.

•February 27 — Obama announces his elaborate plan to pull troops out of Iraq. He stated that the combat mission will end August 31. The most important thing is the security and the safety of troops, he said.

•March 8 — Katheryn Bigelow won the Oscar for Best

Director at the Academy Awards for “The Hurt Locker.”

•March 5 — The unemployment rate is reported to have been at a steady decrease of 9.7 percent since February.

•March 21 — The House of Representatives passes a bill to overhaul the American health care system. The final vote was 219-212.

•April 1 — The government issues guidelines designed by the Environmental Protection Agency about gas emissions.

•April 3 — Apple releases the iPad.

•April 5 — The Duke Blue Devils win the NCAA Men’s Basketball championship against the Butler Bulldogs. The score was 61 to 59.

•April 6 — The UConn Huskies win the NCAA Women’s Basketball championship against the Stanford Cardinals. The score was 53-47.

•April 11 — Phil Mickelson wins his third Masters Golf

Tournament.

By Lauren Ostrom/Features editor

Lauren Ostrom can be reached at [email protected]