Lacrosse team struggles to end on a high note

-photo by  Jordon Jacobo/Review staff writer/photographer

Matt Jonathan

For the Review

Heading into the final three games of the season, the Linfield women’s lacrosse team is looking to finish strong.

That expectation took a hit April 12 when the Wildcats fell to the University of Puget Sound at home. Linfield lost the match, 19-6.

The ’Cats conceded the first goal of the game within the first four minutes, and were down 2-0 just one minute later.

Linfield was quick to hit back and tied the game at two apiece seven minutes into the half.

The two teams   exchanged goals until, with five minutes left in the half, the Loggers broke away with four goals. The last goal came in with 37 seconds left in the half. Puget Sound led 10-5 at halftime.

“First half, it seemed to be an equal match,” freshman Monique Schreiber said. “Both teams were fighting for the ball and scoring right after each other.”

The two adversaries started the second half the same way, with Puget Sound netting two, followed by two Linfield goals. The Loggers rattled off six more goals throughout the second half. Freshman Tarie Caouette scored a consolation goal with two minutes left, but the Loggers grabbed a final score with 45 seconds left to finish the game.

Caouette led the ’Cats with five goals, followed by freshman Melissa DePierro with two. Junior Michelle Dorris also netted one of her own. Puget Sound out shot Linfield 42-26, with a 23-10 margin in the second half. Junior goalkeeper Rebecca Levy had 12 saves for the Wildcats.

The ’Cats have been looking to mix in some new moves in their offensive play, which may help in their final two games.

“During practice, we have been working on mid-field transitions and offensive plays that we hope to incorporate in our next games,”  Schreiber said.

The ’Cats will have a chance for revenge April 19 when they head up to Tacoma, Wash., for a rematch. Linfield’s last game of the season is April 22 at home against University of Redlands.

“I think we’ve had the whole week to reflect and work on some different plays,” Schreiber said. “I definitely think we will take it to them and hopefully come out on top.”