Volleyball bounces back, triumphs the Missionaries

Natalie Kelley, Staff Writer

After a tough loss to the Whitworth Pirates Friday night, the Wildcats came back strong Saturday while playing against the Whitman Missionaries in Walla Walla, Wash.

Linfield lost the first set with a close 21-25, only to come back and win the second set 25-15. The third set ended with a 21-25 score once again, but the Wildcats finished strong, winning the last two sets, 25-17 and 15-9.

“We passed better Saturday night. We also brought more energy. Friday after the game we talked as a team about continuing to hustle and give effort, but execute better. We did that, which was a good turnaround. Improvement wise, we are putting things together. A good pass is leading to a good hit. Everyone is doing their best play at the same time,” said McTaggart.

Sophomores Darian Stedman and Taylor Peterson as well as senior Molly McTaggart truly carried the team to victory. Stedman had 18 kills while McTaggart had 14 and Peterson had 10.

During the fourth set, Stedman and sophomore Tiara Huffaker each recorded a kill, driving the fifth set of the match.

“I’m proud of how we competed and stayed with it. A five set match is tough. It was a good last road game win,” said McTaggart.

This win brought the Wildcats to sixth place in the NWC.

Next, the Wildcats will play Lewis and Clark at 7 p.m. on Friday, October 28 at home in the Ted Wilson Gym.