Women’s tennis dominates in four-way tournament

Sara Levering, Sports Editor

This past weekend, the Linfield Wildcats women’s tennis team proved to be a team to be reckoned with as they dominated in doubles play against Pacific University of Forest Grove, Willamette University of Salem, and George Fox University of Newberg.

The Linfield Wildcats faced George Fox first on Friday evening. Ella Riddle, ‘18, and Elsa Harris, ‘19, proved to be a doubles powerhouse for the tournament on Friday night with a commanding score of 8-0 against the George Fox pair.

Riddle also was successful at number one singles, winning in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. Harris was also decisive at number two singles capturing the win in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5.

When asked how the weekend went, Riddle said, “Play went well this weekend, it was great to start using the things that I worked on this summer and just to get back on the court with Elsa with doubles.”

Furthermore, Riddle is doing everything in her power to prepare for ITA’s and “great competitive tennis” coming up this weekend.

Basia Kopecka, ‘18, and Riley Clayeux, ‘20, won decisively against the George Fox duo 8-3. Kopecka battled at three singles but came out with the win, 6-7(6), 6-0 (10-2). Marisa Doveri, ‘18, won at four singles decisively, 6-1, 6-2.

Doveri and McKenna Stephenson, ‘20, won without any issues against another George Fox pair 8-2.

Newcomers in singles play, Kelsey Bartlett, ‘20, won decisively 6-1, 6-2. Sarah Sweet, ‘20, also won 6-0, 6-4, and Jesse Vezo, ‘20, 6-1, 6-0, respectively. Courtney Mostul, ‘17, was the only singles match that lost at a tough two set battle, 5-7, 5-7.

Vezo and Bartlett, the only freshmen pair for Linfield played a tough pro-set but prevailed winning 8-5.

On the rainy Saturday, tennis continued for the Wildcats against Pacific University.

Riddle and Harris again commanded one doubles winning 8-3. Kopecka and Clayeux won decisively at number two doubles 8-3 as well.

Doveri and Stephenson won 8-4. At four doubles, Mostul and Sweet teamed up and played as clean as ever, winning 8-0.

The tournament unfortunately got cut short due to the rain. On Friday, they were able to play a full doubles set and a full singles set. However, on Saturday, only doubles was completed.

Head coach Lisa Macy-Baker said that it was an extremely successful weekend for Linfield.

“It provided matches against league competition, allowed us to try some new doubles combinations and helped our team and new players to gel in a competitive atmosphere,” Macy-Baker said.

Macy-Baker is very optimistic on the upcoming season for women’s tennis.

“The team is looking solid for this season, but Carl and I feel like we have a very special team this year,” she said.

Some things to work on, Macy-Baker suggested that doubles will always be something to strengthen, especially the new players that have been added to the roster that do not come with much doubles experience for the most part.

Next weekend is a big weekend for the women’s tennis team. The Wildcats travel to Walla Walla, Washington, which “is a grueling weekend with an incredible amount of tennis,” Macy-Baker said.