Counseling is confidential and free to students on Linfield health plan

Patty Haddeland

Letter to the editor

Nov. 8, 2015

To the Editor,

I’d like to clarify a few points from the Oct. 26, 2015, article “New Counseling fee yields student, faculty reactions.”

First, a quick explanation for the fee: In the past two years the utilization of counseling services has increased by 20 percent.  The personnel budget for counselors increased by 0.125 percent last year and again by 0.125 percent this year.  This fee funds the hiring of professional counselors to provide quality counseling care to students, without raising tuition for all students.

Second, in response to Dr. Tompkins’ concern student confidentiality may be compromised by generating an insurance fee, be assured there is no insurance bill generated by a visit to the counselors.  Students may charge the “Health Fee” to their student account and if the student carries the Linfield Student Health Insurance, the charge will be cleared at the end of the month.  This has always been the operating procedure for the “Health Fee.”  No explanation of benefits goes to parents because the student, not the parent, carries the insurance. I would hate to think a student is not accessing counseling services because of a misrepresentation of the billing process.

While it is true the Student Health Wellness and Counseling Center website was not updated until after the fee was instituted, this was simply an oversight on my part.  The Linfield Webmaster can attest to my Luddite approach to all things technological.  However, the Linfield Student Health Wellness and Counseling Center brochure goes to print in July and the fee is presented in that material.  The new fee was also included in my presentation to parents during the multiple orientation sessions this fall.  The Student Health Wellness and Counseling Center staff also presented information about fees at the Solution Station table during orientation.  Signs regarding the fee are posted in the waiting area of the Center, too.  The Associated Students of Linfield College (ASLC) was notified of the change in the spring of 2015. Students and faculty have representation on the College Budget Committee; given that this fee was presented to the budget committee last spring, ample notice was given to the appropriate representatives.

All are welcome to call or stop by the Linfield Student Health Wellness and Counseling Center with questions about how things operate. We are proud of the care provided and happy to talk about our programs.  For more information from the Linfield Review, please refer to Megan Ditore’s article from Oct. 12, 2015.

Sincerely,

Patty Haddeland

Director, Linfield Student Health Wellness and Counseling Center