Spoken word poet Kane Smego comes to Linfield campus

Megan Ditore, For the Review

The power of poetry, Slam Poetry is a way to tell a story the way it was meant to be told.
Slam Poetry is a type of poetry expressing a personal story or struggle usually in an intensely emotional style. It is powerful, sincere and moving. “Slam is a competition; Spoken Word is an art form,” said Kane Smego.
Kane Smego is a National Poetry Slam Finalist, he is a spoken word and hip hop artist. He is also a co-founder of a youth arts and education nonprofit organization. He tours internationally to share his poetry where he not only performs, but he teaches as well.
Kane has taught writing and performance at schools across the country since 2008, leading youth of all ages in exploring their identity through poetry and storytelling.
In 2013, he co-instructed a college course on Spoken Word and Oral History at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, according to canesmego.com.
He has performed and taught workshops at college campuses throughout the U.S. through the program Conscious Campus. His workshops are designed to help writers and performers where even the most timid learn to harness their ideas through text and voice.
This past week, Kane came to campus and did a workshop with students in the poetry club called “Spoken.” He performed in the Fred Meyer Lounge for all who wanted to listen on Saturday night.
Smego preformed some of his pieces like “X-chromosome,” “MLK,” and “Breath,” just to name a few of his poems.
Ranging from serious to funny, to haikus, Kane knew how to put on a show.
Students also shared poetry they had written; topics ranged from anxiety, love, cancer, sex and so on.
Smego believes we are all-natural born story tellers, from the dinner table, to the lunch room, everyone has a story to be told.
-30-