Defensive end with a big heart brings hard hits to field

Ross Passeck, Sports editor

Jake Handran is a sophomore defensive end with a killer attitude and an enlivening smile. It is rare that a sport that requires such savagery is played by the gentlest souls, however; Handran is Linfield football through and through.

His journey through the Linfield football program began last year as a freshman in a new position.

“My experience last year would have to be described as overwhelming, the jump from high school to college sports is certainly substantial,” Handran said.

“Our defensive schemes are lightyears ahead of what I ran in high school, which entailed tapping the defensive tackle’s butt to tell him which gap I was going to fill.”

Handran conquered this gap with perseverance and a splash of humor. He has gone from tapping the DT’s butt to clicking with the defense.

“The defense is finally starting to click for me this year, which lets me go out there and do what’s best for our team,” Handran said.

That is the key for Handran; it is never about himself over the team. He recognizes and appreciates what this team has brought to him above all else.

“There’s nothing in the world like going out on the field and grinding with your brothers,” Handran said.

“A special relationship is formed when so much sweat and blood is shed through hard work and dedication to the same goal. My teammates are my inspiration and I know every single one of them has the others’ back,” he said.

However, there is more to this defensive lineman than football. Beyond the field, Handran has a complete understanding of what it means to be a Linfield student-athlete. His work ethic is almost as relentless as his positivity.

“I try to put in the work and effort into every aspect of life,” Handran said. “That’s what the Catdome has taught me, to always give your utmost attention and respect, whether it’s listening to your professor or simply engaging in a conversation with someone on their way to class, attitude is everything.”

Through his actions and attitude on and off field Handran embodies what it means to be a Linfield football player. He is a perfect paradox of humble and zeal. Anyone who has ever met Handran will note his infectious positivity.

He can tackle a bad day with a smile and remind anyone that they are not on this campus alone.

“I just enjoy seeing people smile and letting them know that there is always a friend out there who is there for them,” Handran said.

His fellow defensive lineman Zach Grate has the ultimate perspective on Handran, as a teammate and as a person.

“Off the field he is the happiest man on the planet. If you need a favor he is the man you ask,” Grate said.

“On the field he is one hundred percent flying around hitting people. If he makes a mistake and coach is yelling at him he is still smiling. He is a guy you want next to you when everything goes to hell,” he said.