Linfield senior has transformative, impactful experience in Hong Kong

Katelyn Prendergast, For the Review

Austin Browning ‘16, Biology major and Chemistry minor, shared his experiences of studying abroad in Hong Kong for the 2015 spring semester.

Browning opened with identifying that he wanted to share his experiences and allow others to be interested in an excellent study abroad program.

The Alpha Lambda Delta Stemler Scholar traveled to Hong Kong, Philippines, Mainland China, Japan and India over a period of five months.

Alpha Lambda Delta is a national honor society that recognizes academic achievement among first-year students.

Browning attended Hong Kong Baptist University in Kowloon Tong District, Hong Kong.

The dorms were 18 story buildings that housed 1500 students. Browning stated that there were two of these dorm buildings on the campus and they were divided into four halls.

Hong Kong as a whole has a population of 7.3 million. Skyscrapers are the apartment complexes for the people of Hong Kong.

“You have to look up,” Browning stated, “There is a whole other world from the fourth floor and above.”

Public transit is the most commonly used way of transportation by most people in Hong Kong. Browning would take a train to Central District on Hong Kong Island that took 20-25 minutes.

“They never run late. They are always on time. It’s one of the best systems in the world,” Browning stated of Hong Kong’s many transit centers.

Browning cherished the food in Hong Kong, there was always something to eat. He loved the round tables used in restaurants; it gave it a family style setting. He stated that when you sat down to eat, it would be with strangers because there were so many people.

Browning also learned that the people of Hong Kong do not have many conversations while eating their meal because it is a fast-paced food service environment and it was polite to get your food, eat, and then leave.

In Hong Kong, the average dinner would cost $7. One Hong Kong Dollar is equal to 0.13 US Dollar.

Other than the food, Browning truly enjoyed the nature and the abundance of green environment that was in Hong Kong. Public parks are throughout the city of Hong Kong and they are filled with a vast green scenery.

In Browning’s studies, he took classes in the art, philosophy, geography and language departments. His favorite class was Mandarin Chinese. It is the official language of Mainland China.

A difference from Linfield to Hong Kong Baptist University was that Browning attended classes, and no student asked questions. Browning stated that no student asked a question to their instructor during the scheduled class time.

While in Hong Kong, Browning was able to experience their Chinese New Year.

“China’s fireworks were spectacular … twenty-seven minutes of continuous fireworks, that were choreographed to music. It was amazing,” Browning said.

Browning saw that the Chinese New Year focused on family, luck, love and prosperity.

In the Philippines, Browning was able to see poverty on a different level.

While spending time in Mainland China, Browning was involved with the Linfield Debate Team as they organized and collaborated with other universities to host a debate tournament. The debate team tournament had various groups of college students from universities in Mainland China. They discussed topics like the military intervention in Seria.

India was a trip that Browning did not have a reason for going, but was drawn to this country. His trip to India was funded by the Stemler Scholarship. He took away many meaningful traditions and experiences that will be with him as he continues through his life.

While touring a mosque, Browning stated, “The mosk is so peaceful. It just changes you. It really impacts you,” while identifying the different actions of those who were around him.

Additionally, Browning traveled to Japan. During his stay, he got in contact and met up with his sophomore year roommate, Soichi Okamura, who was a foreign exchange student at the time. Browning met Soichi’s wife and was able to experience Soichi’s life, as Soichi’s got to experience Browning’s.

As an overall experience, Browning took away patience, tolerance and independence as he learned and adapted to the lifestyles of Hong Kong.
This trip affected Browning in a transformative way. Browning has made new goals to apply for the Peace Core. He is also looking into public health careers for after college.

“The next time I go to India I will be going not as a tourist, but as a professional to enact some change.”