Wildcats stay fit: a how-to-guide for new students

Ross Passeck, Sports editor

Welcome to college. It is not quite the real world but new students will find there is a new dynamic between action and consequence beyond their lifelong homes.

If someone gets caught spray painting a dumpster it is no longer a call home to the parents but a hefty fine, possible suspension, and a slew of other penalties. Similarly if a freshman is treating their body like a dumpster they will soon find that the mysterious metabolism they had in high school is no longer there to save them: the garbage man is not coming to their rescue.

Volleyball online

The legendary freshman fifteen is a fickle foe, striking at the most inopportune time of a new student’s life: when they are a new student. There are many ways freshman acquaint themselves to their classmates ranging from lunch circles at Dillin, to late night Muchas Gracias runs, and the occasional consumption of immense quantities of alcohol down their throats.

Many freshman choose to drink. Many are some of the most radical drinkers on campus. This is one of the ways the freshman fifteen strikes.

Weight room edited

But freshman need not worry, Linfield has countless ways to combat the onset of the dreaded fifteen. First of all consider cutting back on fast food and drinking. These two things are the root of the problem and college freshman across the country are quickly learning their metabolism cannot keep up with this high octane lifestyle.

Beyond monitoring lifestyle choices Linfield provides effective ways of staying in shape to new students. The most obvious of these resources would be the gym, located across the street from the People’s Fountain. One needs only to go down the stairs and any number of weights, machines, or equipment is at their disposal.

Perhaps the gym is not the ideal way for some freshman to stave off unwanted pounds and if that is the case Linfield has a Wellness Trail situated beyond the library. It is a trail wrapping almost two miles around an open field, canopied by Oregon trees and complete with woodchips for low-impact running.

Students can also go to the pool on campus, join a club that is fitness-based or get a group of friends together and use the volleyball court adjacent to the softball field. If a new student is having trouble pushing themselves to go to the gym or run around the Wellness Trail Linfield offers several HHPA courses for college credit.

The motivation of a grade is a great excuse to prevent oneself from being inactive. The freshman fifteen is a daunting reality but new students should always take comfort that Linfield has the tools necessary to help them through their transition into the college world but more importantly stay fit and active.