Linfield to host sports journalism symposium

Dana Brumley and Kaelia Neal

The coordinator of the sport management minor at Linfield said the upcoming Sports Journalism Symposium might be more beneficial to students than their actual classes.

Linfield will host a Sports Journalism Symposium all day at the McMinnville campus, starting with a documentary film on Feb. 26 and an evening panel.

The main event is a discussion panel that will take place at 7:30 p.m. in Ice Auditorium. Speakers are Chris Ballard and Lindsay Schnell, both Sports Illustrated writers, Portland sports agent Lindsay Kagawa Colas, and Linfield’s head baseball coach Scott Brosius, a retired Major League Baseball player and the 2013 national coach of the year.

Denise Farag, the coordinator of the sport management minor at Linfield, said, “The interaction between the students and the panelists, both in classrooms, at the film, and at the panel, may prove to be more beneficial to students than their actual classes.”

She added, “These people are coming to Linfield because they have an interest in college students, and students need to take advantage of that.”

Farag said having sports journalists, an agent, and a coach speak about how students can apply a love of sports to a future career could be a huge inspiration to those who are struggling to find such a connection.

The film, “Let Them Wear Towels,” will be shown at noon in Riley 201. The film is about female journalists in the male world of the locker room and focuses on equal access. The film lasts 50 minutes and will be followed by a discussion facilitated by Schnell.

Ballard will also be having lunch in Dillin Hall with students interested in discussing sports and writing.

Ballard specializes in narrative longform stories as a senior writer for Sports Illustrated. He is an award-winning journalist who has covered a large range of topics. His story “One Shot at Forever” has been optioned for a feature film, as have several other stories he has written. He has written more than 20 cover stories including ones on the NBA and MLB.

Brosius used to play for Linfield, but left before his senior year after being selected by the Oakland A’s in the amateur draft. He came back and graduated from Linfield in 2002 after 11 seasons in Major League Baseball. After playing for the A’s, he joined the New York Yankees. This is his eighth season as the head coach at Linfield.

Colas is vice president of Action Sports & Olympics at Wasserman Media Group. Along with Olympic medalists in beach volleyball, track and field and swimming, Colas represents some of the best women’s basketball players in the world, including 2014 Most Valuable Player Maya Moore, 2014 Defensive Player of the Year Brittney Griner, and 2014 WNBA Playoff MVP Diana Taurasi.

Schnell is a staff writer for Sports Illustrated who primarily covers college sports. She was a high school athlete in basketball and track and field. She was also on the rowing team for OSU. Schnell primarily covers Division I collegiate football but is familiar with Linfield and its football program. She also previously worked at the Oregonian as a staff writer.

Dana Brumley and Kaelia Neal can be reached at [email protected]