Reality and the virtual world merge in next Linfield play

Jaimie McDonald, Freelancer

Audience members can expect to see fantastical video effects, experience an interactive set, hear a lively 8-bit soundtrack and walk away thoroughly spooked from the upcoming “Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom” produced by the Linfield Theatre department.

In what director Janet Gupton calls a “monumental effort,” the play promises to merge reality and the virtual world. The play was written by Jennifer Haley, a young playwright known for her exploration of technology’s impact on our everyday lives.

The production was chosen by the theatre department’s play reading committee last year after it was recommended at an annual conference attended by professors and select theatre students.

Gupton, who is also a professor in the department, was immediately intrigued by the themes presented in the play. She says that she often sees students “get sucked in to online gaming.” In preparation, Gupton spent time this summer watching a student play online video games so she had a better understanding of their appeal.

The story takes place over the course of one day in a generic neighborhood. The game played by the teens uses global positioning satellites to render their own neighborhood on their computer screens.

As the day goes on, the lines between what is happening in the game and in real life become harder to distinguish.

The set, designed by professor Ty Marshall and senior Kelsey Garrett, looks like a two dimensional rendering of any old neighborhood.

The large, pale house at the back of the set will serve as a video projection screen and an interactive part of the play.

The actors will interact with smaller, identical houses on the set as they play the game.

Those actors are facing a unique acting challenge: each one is acting in two different roles, one teenage role and one adult role. Comprised of 10 two-person scenes, no actor will interact with their other role in the same scene.

For the video portion of the play, Gupton has enlisted junior Mic Cooney to create walkthroughs for the game. Avatars will give instructions to players that serve as connecting material between scenes.

The walkthroughs will be projected on the house at the back and are seriously spooky.

“Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom” will be a thought-provoking and exciting production. Performances are 7:30 p.m. November 6-8 and November 13-15, as well as 11 p.m. on Nov. 7.

A post-show discussion will be available after the 7:30 p.m. showing on Nov. 7. Tickets can be purchased Tuesday through Friday from 3 to 5 p.m. or until performance time on performance days. Cost is $5 for Linfield students and staff, with a $2 discount on opening night