Wildcats take Whitworth in Homecoming game

Jonathan Williams, News Editor

The Linfield Wildcats football team confirmed a successful Homecoming weekend beating the Whitworth University Pirates 65-13 at Maxwell Field on Oct. 18.

Sophomore quarterback Sam Riddle and senior wide receiver Charlie Poppen both had stellar games proving to the purple and red adorned crowd of students and alumni that they are leading the Wildcats to another winning season.

The combo of Riddle and Poppen allowed for Poppen to score in the first 6 minutes of the game.

To round out the first quarter of the game junior Samuel Robinson scored off of a kick from junior Michael Metter to bring the score to 13-0 for the Wildcats.

Poppen also scored from a pass from Riddle in the second quarter at the 12-minute mark leading the wildcats 20-0 over the pirates.

Other players that aided the Wildcats to a successful win over the Pirates were sophomores Erick Douglas III and Spencer Payne.

Sophomore Spencer Payne said, “I got to give it up to our linemen for having a great game and our offense as a whole as well as our defense for doing what they do best and holding it down.”

The Pirates managed to score one touchdown and a field goal in the eleventh minute in the second quarter.

Senior Evan Peterson ended the second quarter with a touchdown from Riddle leaving the Wildcats still dominating the pirates 27-7 at the end of the first half.

Fans at the game saw senior baseball player Chris Haddeland receive recognition for being named the American Baseball Coaches Association’s player of the year for all of division III baseball.

Strong defense from senior Jeremy Girod and sophomore Kennedy Johnson also helped the Wildcats dominate over the Pirates.

The third quarter saw touchdowns from sophomores Payne and Erick Douglas III.

“I credit our win to our offensive line for dominating the whole game, also to the receivers blocking on the perimeter and to our defense for dominating the whole game,” said Douglas III.

The Pirates scored what would be their last touchdown of the game in the third quarter leaving the score 55-13 for the wildcats heading into the fourth quarter.

The Wildcats finished the game strong with a 28-yard field goal from sophomore kicker Michael Metter.

The final score for Linfield was 65-13 against Whitworth. This win also secured the Wildcats 59 winning seasons – the longest in any collegiate football program at any level.

Linfield’s next game will be against Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon on Oct. 25.