O’Neil sets the pace in early cross country meets

Jonathan Williams, News Editor

A Linfield cross country runner was named Northwest Conference Athlete of the Week after his fourth place finish at the Linfield Harrier Classic where he was the first finisher out of the Northwest Conference.

Sophomore Michael O’Neil who finished the Linfield Harrier Classic in 27 minutes and 6.06 seconds on August 30 at Joe Dancer Park in McMinnville was the NWC Athlete of the Week for Aug. 25-31.

O’Neil’s time was 40 seconds faster than what he ran last year at the same meet.

His goals for this season are to make top five at the Northwest Conference Championships meet as well as to make top 20 at the regionals meet.

O’Neil is a philosophy major with a potential history or political science minor.

“This season is different because I am at the front of the pack and am more of a leader on the team this year,” O’Neil said.

O’Neil commented, “The guys team is looking really good, we are hoping to finish in the top 3 at the conference meet.”

He also mentioned that the Northwest Conference is highly competitive so it always an interesting championships meet.

There are a lot of new runners this year creating a bright future for the team to develop and mature in the years to come.

So far, the team has been mainly injury-free as opposed to last season when the team was plagued with many injuries.

The team has four more meets to get in the best racing shape they can before the Northwest Conference Championships meet.

O’Neil attributes his success to his coaches at Linfield. Head coach Travis Olson and assistant coach Greg Mitchell have helped him mature as a runner.

“Coach Olson has a very laissez faire approach, he is always telling us to just race,” O’Neil said.

Olson emphasizes to his team the importance of listening and taking care of your body.

O’Neil also commented, “Coach Olson is known for always saying to compete.”

O’Neil also named teammate junior Alex Mangan as someone that helps push him to be better.

Cross Country athletes like other athletes are often cross training to improve their overall fitness.
“We run year round, lift weights and do water running to stay fit all year,” O’Neil said.

“Ice baths are great way to get your body ready before a meet,” O’Neil said.

“We train through all of our regular meets and start to taper around two weeks before the Conference meet,” O’Neil said.

O’Neil hopes to “leave a mark on the Linfield running scene” by the time he graduates from Linfield.

The Cross Country team’s next meet is the Willamette Charles Bowles Invitational on Oct. 4 at Willamette University.