Concert Choir to make first-ever holiday album

Lindsey Silbernagel, Freelancer

As summer winds to a close, many Wildcats may be trying to hold on tight to the last few weeks of sunshine.

The Linfield Concert Choir, however, is already in full swing and ready for the holiday season as they begin work on their first ever Christmas album.

​The album is a compilation of songs done both by the concert as a whole, as well as small groups chosen by audition.

​The idea came about in a brainstorming session for fundraising for the choir’s upcoming trip to Hawaii.

​Already a ways into the process, senior Samantha Hilton who is a music minor says she and the choir are very excited both for the process of making the album and for it to be finished.

​“I’m most looking forward to seeing all of the other musical talent we have here at Linfield outside of just our choir, and for people to actually have a tangible look into what we do here,” Hilton said. 

​Along with singing in the choir, Hilton is also their treasurer and fundraising director.

​A full track list is nearly complete, and the album will include a variety of songs ranging from very upbeat to calm and slow.

Two of the most popular songs being recorded are “Baby It’s Cold Outside” and “The First Noel.”

​Auditions are being held within the next few days for the individual and instrumental groups to be featured on the album.

Once the performers are finalized, rehearsals will start and then the recording process can begin.

With this project being new and unfamiliar, the recording and mixing of the album is the most daunting of the steps in the process.

However, with the experience of mixer Christian Santangelo, the recording should run smoothly and allow the album to be released on time.

Hilton is looking at a release date sometime in November.

An exact date has yet to be decided, but she wants students to be able to have plenty of time to enjoy it on campus before leaving for winter break.

With all the talents of the choir on full display, Hilton also hopes to create some buzz for the music department, and encourage more students and faculty to attend choir concerts.

“I think people are aware that we have a choir, but they don’t necessarily know what we sound like.” Hilton said.

Hilton is excited to see a positive response from the student body when they have the finished product.

As the sunshine dwindles and summer draws to a close, Linfield students have a lot to look forward to this upcoming holiday season.

And, soon, they will have a Wildcat original to generate their holiday cheer as the clouds come along and the leaves begin to change.